Easy To Grow Vegetables

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Today is the first Day of Spring. It is time to think about growing vegetables. The vegetables with the best payback and easy to grow, according to "Kentucky Magazine", March 2017, are: tomatoes, peppers,cucumbers, potatoes, onions and garlic, lettuce, squash, beans, peas, and celery.

These are some great vegetables to have and when they produce, you have them for many recipes to make.

Happy Spring to all.

I'm going to try to start from seeds this year. I'm doing peas, cuccumbers, tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, onions, spinach, lettuce, maybe pumpkins if I have room. I'm also hoping to get another self pollinating cherry tree since the one I had was eaten by deer, and a peach tree to go with my 2 apples.

the cherry is going inside the electric fence. I'm not taking any more chances.

After the, erm, uh, "mother of all blue northers?" here in Texas, I've got an enormous clean up. Dead agave, dead cacti and dead nopales, etc. etc. Once upon a time okra grew well, but doesn't any longer. I've got a kumquat that is fairly prolific for such a tiny tree, and the leeks pulled through... herbs such as parsley, mint, thyme, oregano, etc. are bouncing back. I've never had much luck with tomatoes, and squash has been a disaster time after time. Sweet potatoes are likely to be the easiest and least troublesome garden tuber for my case.

Happy Spring 2021. It is time to think about growing vegetables. It is a little cool here today but know will warm up.
About 2 months away for me. May 15th is the, "don't plant before date", where I live. I always look forward to garden season. I eat way more veggies, when they come from my own garden.

Also hoping we don't have a late frost this year. I didn't get ANY fruit last year, as none of my trees produced.

Back