Does Anyone know what this is ?

The left image the is top of the object, the right image is the bottom.

Thus far, the general consensus is the object has been broken and is missing some sections.
the upper part of the lower section is bigger in diameter (if the right thing is round) than the lower part of the upper section, that doesn't make sense, it doesn't look broken either (neither of them)

the upper part of the lower section is bigger in diameter (if the right thing is round) than the lower part of the upper section, that doesn't make sense, it doesn't look broken either (neither of them)
You're right.

That's one of the reasons why I asked this question to the forum members.

BTW, I appreciate all of the feedback !

you need to put an @ in front - James N. , @Joe Walker

I'm sorry to say it's unfamiliar to me, though the piece at left does look like part of a fancy presentation cane. Did anyone ever decipher the inscription? Swagger sticks are pretty much European and smaller overall than this looks - some kind of scale would be helpful to see how big it really is.

View attachment 131989

A friend of mine asked if I knew what the above object may be. As she was asking for the new owner, she could only tell me that it was "solid" and acquired as part of a Civil War collection. No other details were available.

My first thought was it's either a two piece drum major's baton or perhaps some type of ceremonial mace/staff.

Does anyone know what this may be ?

Thanks.
Pretty sure the left piece, maybe the right as well are the shafts of very fancy umbrellas, like this one of mine:
IMG_1894.JPG
IMG_1895.JPG

Pretty sure the left piece, maybe the right as well are the shafts of very fancy umbrellas, like this one of mine:
View attachment 132662 View attachment 132663

Great find, @RobertP !!

Google gold and mother of pearl umbrella shafts and you'll see many similar. They are late Victorian around turn of the century.

I think the technical term for the umbrella would be "parasol".
If you google parasol shaft mother of pearl you'll get some that look identical (or almost).

... I think the technical term for the umbrella would be "parasol".
If you google parasol shaft mother of pearl you'll get some that look identical (or almost).

As the name suggests, a true para (for) sol (sun) might more likely be one of those lightweight frilly things ladies used to keep the sun off their lily-white skins; whereas umbrellas were more utilitarian covers for rain like in the photo. I imagine the handle might be for either.

As the name suggests, a true para (for) sol (sun) might more likely be one of those lightweight frilly things ladies used to keep the sun off their lily-white skins; whereas umbrellas were more utilitarian covers for rain like in the photo. I imagine the handle might be for either.

Well, James N. I thought the piece looked delicate and female, therefore I thought it might have rather been a more "frilly" thing than just a cover against rain. But of course you are right, we will never know for sure.

An umbrella was the first thought that came to my mind as well.
I have my g-grandmothers that looks very similar to yours and is engraved with her initials and the dates "1884-1914".
I'm thinking it was some kind of retirement gift? Could be a common gift back in the day!?

Back