Deserters' Hill

Joshism

Captain
While visiting Tarpon Springs, Florida today I noticed a large hill near the Gulf on the south bank of the Anclote River. Inquiring of the charter boat captain, he said the hill is called Deserters Hill (alternately spelled Deserters' or Deserters's).

The name supposedly stems from the Civil War when some Confederate deserters (and possibly some escaped slaves) lit a fire on the hill to attract a Union gunboat (East Gulf Blockade Squadron). Instead, Confederates from Fort Brooke (Tampa) spotted the fire, caught the deserters, and hung them from a large oak on the hill. The bodies were supposedly left hanging there for awhile as a warning to other deserters. (This predates Tarpon Springs.)

The story isn't the captain's invention but I'm wondering what the truth is behind the tale.

n043747.jpg

Boat club picnic on Deserters Hill on the Anclote River, (probably in the 1890's).

Found another source that says it was Confederate deserters and escaped Union POW's.

Here is the man the supposedly did the deed. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/15528173/samuel-edward-hope

SUGGEST EDITS
15528173_134210140754.jpg

Photo added by Brenda Hope

Capt Samuel Edward Hope
  • BIRTH 27 Sep 1833 Liberty County, Georgia, USA
  • DEATH 5 Jun 1919 Tarpon Springs, Pinellas County, Florida, USA
  • BURIAL Cycadia Cemetery Tarpon Springs, Pinellas County, Florida, USA
  • PLOT Block J, Lot 79, Space 13
  • MEMORIAL ID 15528173
He mustered in as Captain of the Brooksville Guards on March 15, 1862. He resigned on June 21, 1862, to form his own company, Capt. Samuel E. Hope's Independent co., Florida Infantry, Volunteer. His unit suffered the highest loses at the Battle of Olustee, the largest battle fought in Florida. His unit was transferred to 9th Regiment Florida. He was wounded at Petersburg, Va. on August 24, 1864. He mustered out April 09, 1865.

15528173_125437837429.jpg

His family was wealthy landowners from Hernando county he married well... look at the dates of his wounding and being muster-out...

Here is the time frame of the event... 1864...

In 1864, a group of deserters from Fort Brooke in Tampa and escaping slaves made their way to the mouth of the Anclote River.

When was his(Sam) unit transferred to the 9th Fl. reg. and when did the 9th make it to Virginia... When did he(Sam) make it back to Florida?

Note: The 9th Infantry Regiment was organized at Hanover Junction, Virginia, in June, 1864. The unit served with the Army of Northern Virginia at Cold Harbor, It was involved in the Appomattox Campaign and surrendered on April 9, 1865. [1]

Sam Hope was the captain of the Florida 9th Infantry Co. C

On May 6, 1864, both Fort Brooke and Tampa were captured by Union forces. As Tampa languished during the 1870s and early 1880s, so did Fort Brooke. The last roll call of soldiers occurred in 1882 and the post was decommissioned by the U.S. Army in 1883.

Last edited:
My question is did the deserters want to attrack the Union Navy? ( I didnt read all the external links.)
The implication is that Tampa was a port of entry for smuggling operations. Is that true?

What was the purpose of signalling to Union gunboats except "Come get us"?

I am going point out that Ft Brooke is in downtown Tampa and Tarpon Spring northwest of Ft. Brooke and 31 miles away. I do not think any fire would have been seen from the fort but Capt. Hope had a house nearby on the river so maybe he was in the area with his volunteers...

Back