Decorating graves with flags

John Hartwell

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Does anyone know when it became the custom to decorate veterans' graves with individual flags?

The original Decoration Day legislation called simply for graves to be decorated with flowers. A description of the first, 1868, Decoration Day at Arlington, reads: "The ceremonies centered around the mourning-draped veranda of the Arlington mansion, once the home of Gen. Robert E. Lee. Various Washington officials, including Gen. and Mrs. Ulysses S. Grant, presided over the ceremonies. After speeches, children from the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Orphan Home and members of the GAR made their way through the cemetery, strewing flowers on both Union and Confederate graves, reciting prayers and singing hymns."

Having checked many 19th and early 20th century newspaper accounts of the day's observations, I have yet to find one that indicates the placing of flags on individual graves. Flags carried in parades, at ceremonies, and in processions, certainly, but not on each grave. I expect there were cases of families personally putting a flag on a veteran's grave, but not as a universal practice.

When did this custom take hold?

jno

Excellent question and I'm glad you ask it. I've often wondered about this, too. I'll be watching for the answer.

Not later than 1876:

3a50762v.jpg

Yes. Good question about placing flags. There are accounts of there being a flag but no massive placing of flags on the graves. There are accounts of placing flowers that precede 1868. One of the earliest descriptions of a ceremony honoring American Civil War soldiers was recorded by Dr. Esther Hill Hawks in 1865. In her published diary, A Woman's Civil War edited by Gerald Schwartz , Hawks wrote the following:

Our May Day Festival!

May 30th(1) [1865, Charleston, South Carolina]. We have planned for the dedication of the bleak spot where so many hundred of our soldiers were covered in long trenches; in heaps-four short rows containing 249 of our men, the dead of less than a week. These were white soldiers-prisoners of war. The colored men have built a fence about the spot a free offering, and a fine monument is to be erected as soon as we have sufficient means. The cloudless sky and hot sun of an August morning was over us as the school children formed in procession and matched from the Morris St. School, the Club House on the race-course where the opening ceremonies are to be held. We rode slowly up King St. to the race course. There it was thronged with vehicles of every description and pedestrians of all ages, from the baby in arms to the white hairs of bent old age. All faces wore the sweetest smiles and nearly every hand bore bunches or baskets laden with beautiful flowers.

On reaching the place, found the grounds already covered with a large concourse of people. Among others I noticed Col. Gurney Post Commandant, & wife -- Gen. Hartwell-Col. Beecher & wife -- Judge Coolery2 & wife and several other "distinguished guests." Mr. Redpath is the animating spirit of the occasion. At 10 A.M. he got the procession formed, the school children in advance. As they passed under the flag which was stretched across the Street which led to the soldiers' graves-with their clean bright faces, neat clothes and hands laden with flowers, all singing "My Country 'tis of thee" it was a beautiful sight. As they entered the little enclosure where our poor soldiers lay, every voice was hushed and with quiet reverent steps they marched around the yard depositing their floral offerings on the new made graves -- and Mr. Redpath says the ground all about was covered. It was one of the most touching sights I every witnessed! Mothers whose loved ones lie here -- would that your hearts might all be gladened by the sight of this beautiful tribute -- to the memory of your precious dead. Would you not bless the black hands which have decked them with flowers -- and the noble men whose gratuitous labor has built about their resting place a protection from the rude hands of the thoughtless or jeering! God bless them all and grant to their hearts the prayer of a life time, that freedom which is the inheritance of every child of earth!

The cerimonies in the yard consisted in singing appropriate hymns by the choir of the Baptist Church-prayer by a colored clergyman -- and reading of appropriate passages of scripture, none but colored people officiating. It was very impressive and solemn -- and very hot! We then rode over to the �Club-house� where there was speaking by several gentlemen of both colors -- Col. Beecher among others -- but it was to warm to stand outside to listen so I took it for granted they were all right and went off with some of the ladies of the "Benevolent Society," for refreshments -- which, very unexpectedly to us, they had provided. The children danced and played about just as children will at such times and were all very happy. I saw no quarriling or unpleasant feeling anywhere. By 2 P.M. the speaking and eating were over, thus ending the impressive ceremonies of the first Decoration Days(2) and I came home with Col. B. [Beecher] and wife..,-very tired and very glad to get in doors out of the hot sun and rest.​

Source: Schwartz, Gerald, editor, Dr. Esther Hill Hawks' Diary, A Woman Doctor's Civil War, edited by Gerald Schwartz (University of South Carolina Press: 1984), p. 137-139. Note: Spelling unmodified; editors original footnotes noted.

(1)Gerald Schwartz's original footnote no. 180: The correct date for this entry is May 1.

(2)Gerald Schwartz's original footnote no. 182: The events herein described constituted the first Memorial Day observance, though the Grand Army of the Republic did not officially proclaim Decoration Day until 1868. Some credit the Drs. Hawks with having "conceived, proposed and practiced� the custom of decorating the graves of Union Civil War veterans. Charles H. Coe, "The Late Dr. John Milton Hawks," Daytona Beach Observer, August 30, 1941.

Back