Dating rifled muskets

pavelow2go

Cadet
Joined
Feb 20, 2005
Does anyone have the expertise to date a rifled musket? If there's one date on the plate which secures the percussion nipple and hammer, and another date on the barrel, what is the date of the weapon? Is it unusual they're different?
 
Bill, both dates are correct. The date on the barrel is the date that it was manufactured, same with the date on the lock plate. This is not unusual. The weapons were assembled from parts. After the war many of these weapons were sold as surplus and parts were often replaced. Sometimes older weapons were improved with later modifications. I used to have a Springfield trap door breach loading infantry rifle. (May all thieves rot in He**) The Lock plate was dated 1864. The Breach assembly was dated 1873.
 
Gosh Doug, That is horrible. If you every find who did it I'll gladly hold them while you beat the proverbial fecal matter out of them.


YMOS
tommy
 
Howdy,
I have a friend, Dan who's 1849 sword walk off his truck at a re-enactment at Stones River. He still cries about the lost since it was the real McCoy. People should keep their hands off other peoples stuff. If not they should get Period justice if caught.
I will keep the camp fire going and the coffee hot,
John F. Wiedeburg
 
You know guys it has actually been over 20 years since that rifle was stolen. I am still mad about it. I don't think I will ever get the pleasure of showing the thief what the big long bayonett on the end is for.
 
I used an Original Confederate Springfield marked CS Richmond 1863 in many of my reenactments. There was many a time I had to hold on to it for dear life. Never let it go. Some people thought I was nuts for using it but using it gave me pleasure.

Bill

PS By the way, many guns used by the Confederacy DID NOT have matching serial numbers on parts. So be careful you might pass up the real thing. When Jackson attacked Harper's Ferry, they carted away loads of parts. Do you really think they paid attention to what part goes with what number? With Eli Whitney's system of interchangeable parts, the stuff of the same serial number on all parts was thrown out the window.


(Message edited by Tamaroa on February 18, 2004)
 
I didn't mean to leave the impression that mismatched weapons were not the real thing. I was trying to point out that there were many reasons for these weapons.
 
Don't forget about arsenal rebuilds where armourers would salvage parts from several wrecked guns to build a serviceable gun. Armourers don't care about historical accuracy or matching parts (all same mfg). They want to clear the workbench and get the guns back into the hands of the webfoot. Happens all the time and is practiced even today.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top