Period Dandelion Tea

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Dandelion Tea

From "A Plain Cookery Book for the Working Classes" (1852)

Infuse one ounce of dandelion in a jug with a pint of boiling water for fifteen minutes; sweeten with brown sugar or honey, and drink several tea-cupfuls during the day. The use of this tea is recommended as a safe remedy in all bilious affections; it is also an excellent beverage for persons afflicted with dropsy.

Dandelion Tea

From "A Plain Cookery Book for the Working Classes" (1852)

Infuse one ounce of dandelion in a jug with a pint of boiling water for fifteen minutes; sweeten with brown sugar or honey, and drink several tea-cupfuls during the day. The use of this tea is recommended as a safe remedy in all bilious affections; it is also an excellent beverage for persons afflicted with dropsy.
Is there any explanation of dandelion to go with the recipe? Is it the same weed we have now? Just the leaves? Flowers?

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
A former Pastor of ours would make Dandelion tea. Just pull those suckers right out of his yard! I never knew it was a thing. My Nanny grew up eating possum and squirrel and never hesitated to tell us that tidbit but, I'd never heard of anything like this! I'm thinkin' the wine sounds good too!