CSS Hunley, bow shape

Woodstock74

Private
Joined
Nov 16, 2018
Location
Charlotte, NC
Wracking my brain trying to locate where I read it, but it's such an obscure inquiry making it difficult to search; do I understand that the Hunley's bow/leading edge was actually straight (as seen from the side) and not the 's'-curve as seen today? And that shape of the bow as seen today occurred during the time she was in the water? I seem to recall reading that the bow was worn/damaged during her time in the water and that as designed it was straight. Am I loosing it?
 
Wracking my brain trying to locate where I read it, but it's such an obscure inquiry making it difficult to search; do I understand that the Hunley's bow/leading edge was actually straight (as seen from the side) and not the 's'-curve as seen today? And that shape of the bow as seen today occurred during the time she was in the water? I seem to recall reading that the bow was worn/damaged during her time in the water and that as designed it was straight. Am I loosing it?
Why not contact the folks working on the Hunley directly? https://www.hunley.org/
 
https://www.history.navy.mil/conten...Hunley_RecoveryOperations_20170404_Tagged.pdf
According to this pdf (page 127) on the recovery and conservation of the Hunley, the shape of the cast iron bow was caused by scouring...

Screenshot 2023-04-01 003128.jpg
Screenshot 2023-04-01 004412.jpg
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top