MS CSS Arkansas Crew Memorial

bskip

Cadet
Recently set plaque and markers honoring the 23 men killed in action on the Arkansas. The plot is located in Cedar Hill cemetery Vicksburg Ms.
Dedication ceremony is set for Aug 23rd 9am
B
20190403_101940(1).jpg
FB_IMG_1562969952289-1.jpg
Screenshot_20200517-215656(1).jpg

bskip

Cadet
Soon as I get the new program dates changed I will post a copy of it.
Although it is now going to be part of the reunion, unlike the reunion you want have to be a Ms Div member to attend.
Still working to secure everyone but for the original dedication there were going to be at least 2 family descendants in attendance along with SCV from LA, MO, TN, and AR.
B

DixieRifles

Captain
Member of the Year
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Recently set plaque and markers honoring the 23 men killed in action on the Arkansas. The plot is located in Cedar Hill cemetery Vicksburg Ms.
These are only those killed during the run from Yazoo River to Vicksburg? It doesn't include any deaths for the movement towards Baton Rouge in August---correct?

bskip

Cadet
I like the inclusion of the sketch on the top of the plaque. That was evidently done by Samuel Milliken, a member of the CSS Arkansas' crew, and seems to be the most authentic view of her that we have.
Yes, we thought it was only fitting to use S. Millikin's sketch. The only other war time sketch is by Midshipman D.M. Scales in a letter to his father, it has detail showing damage to the ram but its no where as detailed as Millikins. Have you seen tbis sketch before? Its on display at the Old Courthouse Museum in Vicksburg.
This is what it looked like in the rain during our CWT gathering in Vicksburg last October.

View attachment 359928
At that time we only had 1 marker set. The only one the VA would furnished. I had to ask for donations for the other 22, but thats a whole other story. The MS Div SCV, UDC and OCR made it happen!

Mark F. Jenkins

Colonel
Member of the Year
Yes, we thought it was only fitting to use S. Millikin's sketch. The only other war time sketch is by Midshipman D.M. Scales in a letter to his father, it has detail showing damage to the ram but its no where as detailed as Millikins. Have you seen tbis sketch before? Its on display at the Old Courthouse Museum in Vicksburg.

The Milliken sketch, I've seen many times, both in negative and 'regular' prints. I'm not sure about the Scales one... it's not springing to mind. :unsure:

Mark F. Jenkins

Colonel
Member of the Year
I've been struck by how inaccurately Henry Walke portrayed the Arkansas in his illustrations-- she's too rounded in one sketch, for example, and too tall in another. I've chalked it up to him being too busy at the time to make sketches then and there, and his recollections being a bit fuzzy (both he and I.N. Brown were suffering from malaria at the time), but it's unfortunate.

Tut11

Sergeant
Look forward to the ceremony, thanks for posting!

In Memory and Honor:

20181225_143733.jpg

20181225_143746.jpg

Here's the build for those interested: