CSA Veterans Interview

Virginia Dave

First Sergeant
Forum Host
I wasn't sure which Forum this should be listed in. If this is the wrong one please let me know which one to use for future posts. Thanks and if this is the right one please enjoy.

Civil War Confederate Soldier. Julius Franklin Howell, at the age of sixteen, entered Confederate service and would in time become a member of the 24th Virginia Cavalry. On occasions, he was on detached duty, serving general officers as a trusted courier. In the waning days of the war he was captured and imprisoned until after the war's end. In the post-war years the Confederate veteran became a well-regarded educator. He remained invested in the preservation of the memories of the Confederate soldier, and his title of General was obtained from his tenure as the Commander-in-Chief of the United Confederate Veterans. Howell's long and useful life spanned more than a century, and when he died at the age of 102, he was purported to have been the final survivor of General James Longstreet's Corps.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure which Forum this should be listed in. If this is the wrong one please let me know which one to use for future posts. Thanks and if this is the right one please enjoy.

Civil War Confederate Soldier. Julius Franklin Howell, at the age of sixteen, entered Confederate service and would in time become a member of the 24th Virginia Cavalry. On occasions, he was on detached duty, serving general officers as a trusted courier. In the waning days of the war he was captured and imprisoned until after the war's end. In the post-war years the Confederate veteran became a well-regarded educator. He remained invested in the preservation of the memories of the Confederate soldier, and his title of General was obtained from his tenure as the Commander-in-Chief of the United Confederate Veterans. Howell's long and useful life spanned more than a century, and when he died at the age of 102, he was purported to have been the final survivor of General James Longstreet's Corps.

Great post, his widow applied for what may have been the last Confederate Widow's pension paid in Tennessee.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/re...s-in-the-civil-war.129343/page-7#post-1900892

Last edited:

I have an Uncle that was in the 24th Virginia Cavalry. :smile:

Back