Could this be Sophronia Bucklin?

Willoughby Run

Private
A tip from JPK Huson 1863 directed my attention to Sophronia Bucklin’s book, “In Hospital and Camp.” Sophronia’s description of the camp is very much like the final site of the 2nd Corps hospital on the Jacob Schwartz farm, based on Greg Coco’s book, “A Vast Sea of Misery.” In addition she mentions being fortunate that her ward was under the care of Dr. Jones. Gregg Coco identifies Dr. A. Stokes Jones as an Assistant Surgeon for the 72nd Pennsylvania Infantry, 2nd Corps, Army of the Potomac. It appears that Sophronia was at the 2nd Corps hospital on the Schwartz farm.

In searching for a higher resolution image of the 2nd Corps Hospital photo in JPK Huson 1963’s post entitled “John Burns, A ‘Where’s Waldo’ at 2nd Corps Hospital”, I came across a Gettysburg NMP blog post by Scott Hartwig on Eliza W. Farnham. She was a volunteer nurse at the 2nd Corps hospital. The blog post includes a copy of the 2nd Corps hospital photo, and draws attention to the women in the photo.

John Burns 2nd Corps Hospital Forum 1.jpg

Looking for photos of Sophronia, I came across this image:

sophrbucklin Forum 2.jpg

Could this woman in the 2nd Corps hospital be Sophronia?

John Burns 2nd Corps Hospital Sophronia Forum 3.jpg

Thanks JPK Huson for also calling my attention to Sophronia’s description of John Burns’s visit to the 2nd Corps hospital!

Back