Corset Inspector

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
In times past the state of Iowa had Corset Inspectors. Their job was to verify women were NOT wearing corsets. If a woman was found wearing a corset she could be fined.

No, I'm not looking for a job. But I am curious if anyone knows when these Corset Inspectors operated & what Governor created the position.

Pictured below is a legitimate Corset Inspectors badge. Really, it is, honest? Well, not really but it lets me check my wife without getting punched... Very hard anyway.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 92
In times past the state of Iowa had Corset Inspectors. Their job was to verify women were NOT wearing corsets. If a woman was found wearing a corset she could be fined.

No, I'm not looking for a job. But I am curious if anyone knows when these Corset Inspectors operated & what Governor created the position.

Pictured below is a legitimate Corset Inspectors badge. Really, it is, honest? Well, not really but it lets me check my wife without getting punched... Very hard anyway.
What was wrong with wearing a corset? It seems to me they should have been fines for not wearing one.

What was wrong with wearing a corset? It seems to me they should have been fines for not wearing one.

A corset could be construed as a false advertisement. I remember a 1800s legal case where a fellow married a woman and in the marriage bed after foundation garments were removed, found that she was not shaped as he thought.

As I understand it was in reaction to several women during in childbirth as well as cases of asphyxiation.

My wife has been looking for the particulars for some time but has had poor luck.

https://topatoco.com/products/gg-corset-pin

Corset Inspector!

"This is a design created by Cheyenne Wright, the artist who does the lovely colors for the Girl Genius comic. After the Tesla Ranger design went to the manufacturer, he sent this one along as a joke. Ha ha ha. Let me make it."

View attachment 201332
My wife loves the Girl Genius series and picked that up for me as a reward for encouraging her hobbies. Either that or I just have an awesome wife. I'll go with the second.

Back