Cooks Whose Food You Would Like Or ELSE

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Joined
Feb 14, 2012
Location
Central Pennsylvania
One of these days I'll get my nose back out of National Archives Have several ( times 8 ) threads to pursue for Ladies Tea, thanks to the archives, phew! Unlike LoC there are a plethora of photos with civilian ladies included, love that!

Meanwhile, Army photos galore, all branches and occupations- this one flattens me! LOVE these men! There's a military aspect in the stance of the young man to the left- and all of them look to have been recruited either from Schuylkill County boatmen ( canalmen ), notoriously tough ( I may or may not have included them out of genetic pride- 2 grgrgrandfathers, 3 uncles ), or Boston Irish- or both. Would you complain about the nosh, served by any, single man here?

cooks.jpg
 
I thought you were being overly melodramatic until I saw the picture. Yeesh! These guys must have been pretty good cooks for them to put them in a tent instead of the front lines.
 
Interesting photo, JPK! Does your heritage hail from Schuylkill County? My GGGrandfather who served in the 96th PA lived in Tremont.

Yep! Half, Dad's half- Boatmen, Farmers, had a sign shop in there. The Knarrs started out as cabinet makers, switched over to building canal boats when they canals came in, in Schuylkill Haven. Grgrgrandfather, who I only mention annoyingly every other post, 6th US Cavalry, regulars- George Knarr, served his last 6 months in the 50th PA I guess for the heck of it after his time ran out because 3 brothers were in there. Also weirdly another grgrgrandfather was there- Harrison Walton, Co A, wounded at Spotsylvania, got stuck in the 21st VRC, hated it, somehow finagled his way back to the 50th! An uncle was killed with the 11th PA at Gettysburg, another lived through it, 7th PA Cav-just happened to be one of those families, weirdly had all the branches mostly settle in Schuylkill and stay there. Love Schuylkill County. It gets so overlooked, I guess because it's economically not on par with other counties but it's just so old and beautiful- reeks History! Tremont has some old buildings that could knock Philadelphia's socks off!
 
:laugh: I'm not complaining! But...are you sure they are cooks? Looks like that might be the butcher's crew...and I don't think I'd inspect that pile in the background very closely! :eek:

Good Lord, no ego here on the photo- National Archives are priceless on content but dicey on descriptions because it allows folks to sign on as members and leave their own information. I'll take input from your eye any day of the week- especially since the fellow in the front seems to be holding up a knife quite aggressively! I WAS wondering about the blood spatter on an apron on a fellow there- very ' iew'.

Yes, they did frequently butcher entire animals to feed troops, didn't they? Puts a whole, different spin on this. Donna, do you still want it in your forum? :speechless::sick::frog:
 
Talk about crazy. They make these guys wear the white hats so they don't drop hair in the soup and then surgeons are cutting off arms and legs and never washing their hands.
 
I honestly think that's a paring knife, and the tubs on the stoves appear to be full of potatoes. There has been blood shed somewhere, if you go by the stained aprons!
 
What are those vessels that appear to be kettles or pots with flue pipe off to the sides? I've been searching for similar images and can't find anything. Are these some sort of broiler or double-boiler for large scale mess cooking, or some other lard rendering pot? I'm still searching.
 
I was reckoning this group of fellas to be a butcher crew rather than cooks, just by the general look of the gear strewn about, however I may be off on a daydreaming tangent.
 
What are those vessels that appear to be kettles or pots with flue pipe off to the sides? I've been searching for similar images and can't find anything. Are these some sort of broiler or double-boiler for large scale mess cooking, or some other lard rendering pot? I'm still searching.
It appears to be a camp stove with built-in boiler... I looked and haven't found one quite like it either.

The one in the back partly concealed looks like it may be a more typical double-decker camp stove.
 
Yep! Half, Dad's half- Boatmen, Farmers, had a sign shop in there. The Knarrs started out as cabinet makers, switched over to building canal boats when they canals came in, in Schuylkill Haven. Grgrgrandfather, who I only mention annoyingly every other post, 6th US Cavalry, regulars- George Knarr, served his last 6 months in the 50th PA I guess for the heck of it after his time ran out because 3 brothers were in there. Also weirdly another grgrgrandfather was there- Harrison Walton, Co A, wounded at Spotsylvania, got stuck in the 21st VRC, hated it, somehow finagled his way back to the 50th! An uncle was killed with the 11th PA at Gettysburg, another lived through it, 7th PA Cav-just happened to be one of those families, weirdly had all the branches mostly settle in Schuylkill and stay there. Love Schuylkill County. It gets so overlooked, I guess because it's economically not on par with other counties but it's just so old and beautiful- reeks History! Tremont has some old buildings that could knock Philadelphia's socks off!

Annie.....today Schuylkill County is a depressed area.
All it has is Beer and Guers Ice tea....
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top