Muzzleldrs Confederate?

ranger326

Private
My brother just sent me these pictures from his daughter-in-law. The story goes that this was found stuck up the chimney of a house and that it was Confederate (stop me if you’ve heard this before). Could be. I know both sides had Enfields. If it was stuck up a chimney, I don’t think it was there long. It looks to nice to me to have been up a chimney for years neglected.
Anyways, thoughts?
D64A2517-8BA2-4F15-81E2-DBA632CED920.jpeg
6C34F252-13EA-4759-A0B0-114D0FD77445.jpeg

Interesting Enfield. Since it has been cut down as a sporter that does devalue it a bunch. Could you post some photos of the left hand side of the barrel at the breech end and the tang of the butt plate. Also look underneath top and bottom of trigger guard and see if there are any markings. In the mean time, paging @Lanyard Puller and @Craig L Barry

I always cringe whenever I see any sporterized military rifle. But the lock and some of the other parts are still nice to have!

I appreciate all the feedback. I don’t disagree with any of the comments.
I’ll know much more once I get additional pictures from my nephew and, almost more importantly, a more complete story of the gun’s background from his 70+ mother in law. At any rate, the nephew is excited as this is his first foray into the historical abyss of old military guns.

I appreciate all the feedback. I don’t disagree with any of the comments.
I’ll know much more once I get additional pictures from my nephew and, almost more importantly, a more complete story of the gun’s background from his 70+ mother in law. At any rate, the nephew is excited as this is his first foray into the historical abyss of old military guns.
Nothing at all wrong with that! Hopefully is becomes a lifelong passion for him. Way too few young people are into this anymore.

Back