Confederate States Mail Line

7 riders aboard this mail train include col. Lewis Pyles 2nd. Florida and Col. David French Boyd from Louisana. Train ran from Thomasville to Maritville ? Looking more information on this document is from the experts.

20211020_113801.jpg

20211020_113745.jpg

7 riders aboard this mail train include col. Lewis Pyles 2nd. Florida and Col. David French Boyd from Louisana. Train ran from Thomasville to Maritville ? Looking more information on this document is from the experts.

View attachment 418968

View attachment 418969
Thomasville, Ga to Monticello, Fl was about 22 miles. The Florida to Georgia railroad connection could have been built on this line, but was not because the line that was used was already graded when the decision to build the link was made.

Thomasville was on the Savannah, Albany & Gulf RR and Monticello was on a branch line off of the Pensacola & Georgia RR. This looks like a stage line bill.

It shows 20-dollar fares for each person I think, and a 2-dollar baggage fee? But there are 2 different persons paid. How were you able to source these documents @DaveBrt? Are many of the confederate documents kept in private hands? Thanks,
Lubliner.
I did not post the documents. There is an active market in CW documents, though most of the important ones appear to be held by the state and Federal governments.

Thank you for the information. I bought this document and another one from Turner Ashby Cav. from a guy in England . I am not sure how they ended up in England .
It shows 20-dollar fares for each person I think, and a 2-dollar baggage fee? But there are 2 different persons paid. How were you able to source these documents @DaveBrt? Are many of the confederate documents kept in private hands? Thanks,
Lubliner.
I found this and another document online from England I paid $15 for the 2 . I will post the other document on another forum hopefully later today Turner Ashby Cav. To me each document has a story to tell especially if there are names on them. Many collectors have little interest in paper but prices have gone up the last 5 yrs.

Thank you for the information. I bought this document and another one from Turner Ashby Cav. from a guy in England . I am not sure how they ended up in England .

I found this and another document online from England I paid $15 for the 2 . I will post the other document on another forum hopefully later today Turner Ashby Cav. To me each document has a story to tell especially if there are names on them. Many collectors have little interest in paper but prices have gone up the last 5 yrs.
Thank you.
Lubliner.

I thought $20 was a little pricey for a 22 mile trip but then maybe it was the going rate shortly before the surrender .
Yesterday, @USS ALASKA submitted a link to a Master's Thesis here;
It is about the York River railroad from its inception through the 19th century. I had enough time to scan the first chapter on it's building and then read most of the chapter about the war years. The railroad was used both for passengers and baggage. It was 36 miles of track between Richmond, and due to its expenses for washouts, and for depot stations, they were charging 4 cents to the mile when the normal was stated to be 3 cents. So, the 20-dollar fee may be a bargain at that time.
Lubliner.

Back