Confederate spur?

Dfx

Private
I asked a local CW colector and was told this favors and may be a civil war confederate spur. I was detecting in a creek and found this along with 8 minie bullets in close vacenity. I have researched and the only thing that bothers me is how good the condition it is. It was about 6in deep in a gravel bar. May ask yalls opion?

Attachments

• 20170530_091443.jpg
    20170530_091443.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 177
  • 20170530_091531.jpg
    20170530_091531.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 185
  • 20170530_091516.jpg
    20170530_091516.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 153
The condition does look very good to have been buried for over a century and a half, but some conditions might allow that. The problem with many "Confederate" items is they are the same were used from the Revolution thru the mid 20th century. Some one who really knows metal might be able to give you a better understanding of the time frame. In any case, great find. Where was the creek?

It is in fact a Southern manufactured spur. I have found several with this square neck design. When I get in tonight I will post some photos of some I have dug in CS camps.

The condition does look very good to have been buried for over a century and a half, but some conditions might allow that. The problem with many "Confederate" items is they are the same were used from the Revolution thru the mid 20th century. Some one who really knows metal might be able to give you a better understanding of the time frame. In any case, great find. Where was the creek?
Thanks...creek is somewhere in N AL. Lol. I have always wondered when CW relis/artifacts were used by civilians also it almost automatically gets labeled CW artifact. I know it is almost impossible to determine like the spur i found. It may have got lost 10yrs after the war. Just my opinion.

Thank you for posting this. I am sure somewhere there are spur experts, but nut sure if we have any on this forum

When I dig one near a plntation house its civilian when I dig one in a camp along with CS buttons bullets etc its CS cavalry.
View attachment 140612 View attachment 140613 View attachment 140614
Thank you for posting this. I am sure somewhere there are spur experts, but nut sure if we have any on this forum
thanks

When you find one like this there is NO questions.
csspur.jpg

Dfx, I should have asked the question I wanted the answer to, what were the soil conditions where you found the spur? Was it washed from a creek bank or was it on a rise above a creek? If the soil was often wet the spur was not in it for a century and a half. If it was a dry protected location it might explain the condition of the spur. If it is in a location where there is a lot of Fox hunting it might have been lost in the last few years, etc.

Dfx, I should have asked the question I wanted the answer to, what were the soil conditions where you found the spur? Was it washed from a creek bank or was it on a rise above a creek? If the soil was often wet the spur was not in it for a century and a half. If it was a dry protected location it might explain the condition of the spur. If it is in a location where there is a lot of Fox hunting it might have been lost in the last few years, etc.
I found in the water was not in any soil. It was in a a limestone creek bottom with small amount of gravel..

When a spur is dug up after 150 years is the rowel usually gone?

No, Ive dug many spurs in Union Gen Wilson's Cav Corp Camps here in Alabama and most of them were intact and I had a few that I could get to turn with a little WD40. It really depends on the soil. Ive some in a Union Cav camp in North Florida and they were completely gone. Ive only dug on CS and that's the one I posted. They are rare.

No, Ive dug many spurs in Union Gen Wilson's Cav Corp Camps here in Alabama and most of them were intact and I had a few that I could get to turn with a little WD40. It really depends on the soil. Ive some in a Union Cav camp in North Florida and they were completely gone. Ive only dug on CS and that's the one I posted. They are rare.
Thanks.

IMG_0570.JPG
IMG_0572.JPG
IMG_0573.JPG

I dug this one at a battlefield years ago. I thought I would post it here to see if anyone knew whether it could have come from a soldier or if it post-dates the war. I was told that it was from the era and that the rowel appeared to be a "field repair."

Can anyone here give me any more information? It would be cool if it were from the war, but I also know spurs were made for use in other things than war. I'm hoping because it's brass it might be more likely Military.

Back