Restricted Confederate Mound Monument

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

archieclement

Captain
Forum Host
I posted about it in the sites to see in Chicago thread. Was surprised and disappointed to see some group called "make it right project" has put it on list of top 10 monuments it wants to see removed.......

Personally regardless of the side/cause would think once one has surrendered they dont deserve to die from Mistreatment/poor planning/ negligence whether at Andersonville, Camp Douglas or wherever. Confederate Mound memorializes over 4000 POW's who died at Camp Douglas, cant imagine how a memorial in a cemetery marking over 4000 dead who were supposed to be in the care of the United States Government is somehow inappropiate....

Mabye it's just me, even if I disagree I can see how court house squares or parks are one thing......but ones in a cemetery specifically to honor the dead..........seems we might as well just go and topple headstones, it would seem the equivalent

Last edited:

archieclement

Captain
Forum Host
https://www.cem.va.gov/cems/lots/confederate_mound.asp

"An act of Congress in 1903 provided federal funds for the improvement of Confederate Mound, including the marking of Confederate graves and the raising of the monument and mound. These appropriations led to the placement of six bronze plaques on the monument, which list the names of 4,243 known Confederate soldiers interred here, along with an inscription regarding the funding of the monument."

The monument is their headstone for the mass graves..............

Lusty Murfax

Sergeant

Stone in the wall

First Sergeant
Blue Ridge Mountains, Jefferson County WV