Confederate James Henry Lane

DavidM

Cadet
I would like to ask about Confederate James Henry Lane. And, yes, I know there is a Union General by the same name.😀

Do you know if there is any kind of biography about him? Or a book on the military unit he served with/commanded? How would I go about learning more about him, or are you thinking that would be a difficult errand to pursue?

WScott

Private
From what I know / have read, James Henry Lane was born on July 28, 1833 in Mathews Court House, Virginia. Lane was commissioned a major in the 1st North Carolina Volunteers. He became a lieutenant colonel and then he was a colonel, commanding the 28th North Carolina Infantry Regiment. Lane was promoted to brigadier general in November, 1862. He participated in such battles as the Seven Days Battle, Second Manassas, Antietam, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, the Overland Campaign, Siege of Petersburg and the Surrender at Appomattox Courthouse.
Good Luck.

DavidM

Cadet
Thanks for the reply.

I discovered the following book online, and I believe that the "Lane" mentioned is the same person:

"General Lee’s Immortals: The Battles and Campaigns of the Branch-Lane Brigade in the Army of Northern Virginia, 1861-1865"
by Michael Hardy