Confederate Haversacks

They sure had a number of different styles of haversack. I currently have a canvas one with small leather strap closure. Perhaps I should cut that off and sew buttons on, as that seems to be not a thing that was very common...
S&S in Gettysburg sells a pretty nice hand sewn CS haversack and they aren't very expensive, would be a nice upgrade to your kit for not a ton of $.

S&S in Gettysburg sells a pretty nice hand sewn CS haversack and they aren't very expensive, would be a nice upgrade to your kit for not a ton of $.
Yeah, but that modification is free(Minus the buttons which cost only a couple dollars at most), and I have other things to worry about getting first, before worrying about buying a new haversack. That's something I'd be worried about when I have everything, and I only need to make tweeks to my impression. I'd be willing to make modifications to things in the meantime however...

Yeah, but that modification is free(Minus the buttons which cost only a couple dollars at most), and I have other things to worry about getting first, before worrying about buying a new haversack. That's something I'd be worried about when I have everything, and I only need to make tweeks to my impression. I'd be willing to make modifications to things in the meantime however...
The tweaks never end, that's what keeps it interesting

Every Confederate soldier had a haversack and yet they are extremely rare. Particularly in private collections.
Nice post. I guess Ive never seen a leather one.
I also thought only the Union could afford black waterproofing. It seems that a plain cloth bag is almost useless against the rain.

Nice post. I guess Ive never seen a leather one.
I also thought only the Union could afford black waterproofing. It seems that a plain cloth bag is almost useless against the rain.
You can't discount captured Union, and those gleaned from the dead after victories. It seems many Southern boys were outfitted heavily this way. Also those run through the blockade.

I remember Adolphus's look at photos of the dead from the Petersburg breakthrough. Every single body with a haversack attached(which was the majority) was tarred, either "Federal pattern" or a different one. But nonetheless tarred. This was near the end of the war which was the surprising part to me. It would appear tarred haversacks were not so uncommon in the ANV, one way or another.

I also thought only the Union could afford black waterproofing.

Oh no, the CSA used a LOT of tarred products. The US mainly used them for haversacks and knapsacks. The CSA made knapsacks, cap pouches, parts of cartridge boxes, haversacks, belts, rifle slings and anything else they could use it for. The CSA may have used it for a bigger variety of thing than he USA

The CSA actually had a major leather shortage in areas like Georgia, Alabama, and other places, thus why it was used. Many of the imbeciles who believe "Oh land of herders like Scots, cattle everywhere!" don't know what the heck their talking about, cattle were common in Florida and in some areas of Texas, (Texas was not the cattle empire yet, that was postwar) beyond that it was all farmland with not as much cattle around as some would have you believe.

I think there were even painted canvas shoes that popped up occasionally. Tarred canvas was basically used for anything that was "less important" that it be made of leather. Even sometimes it was left unpainted, especially with haversacks and straps. Confederate issue items are an interesting mix of variables, to be sure.

Oh no, the CSA used a LOT of tarred products. The US mainly used them for haversacks and knapsacks. The CSA made knapsacks, cap pouches, parts of cartridge boxes, haversacks, belts, rifle slings and anything else they could use it for. The CSA may have used it for a bigger variety of thing than he USA

I was specifically referring to haversacks. You expect backpacks to be painted but I didnt know the Confederates painted other equipment. I’ve seen a photo of a painted kepi in a book. You dont see many reenactors use painted gear except for those who portray South Carolina units. All you see are plain cloth sacks.

I was specifically referring to haversacks. You expect backpacks to be painted but I didnt know the Confederates painted other equipment. I’ve seen a photo of a painted kepi in a book. You dont see many reenactors use painted gear except for those who portray South Carolina units. All you see are plain cloth sacks.
One of the reasons my next haversack is going to be a painted one. We need more.

Please post a photo of it ---- with a disclaimer that it is a Replica.
Here is a reproduction of a Confederate painted haversack
20210217_174336.jpg

Back