Confederate flag that never was.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
This is one of the flags submitted to be the flag for the Confederacy. I have no idea why it was not selected.

flag 3.jpg

Frederick14Va

Sergeant Major
Those displayed in the chart above are just a sampling of the hoards of public submissions that were received. These are mostly the reasonable ones... some others were quite outlandish or even bizarre, even for that period. Various newspapers also ran their own little public submission entries of sorts. A few of those were actually adopted and used in the field by some units. These submission flags tend to historically be classified and categorized a bit different than those that were presentation flags, and/or those designed and used by various Corp's, commands, or unit levels. Which spawned a wide array of flags during the period that no single national flag had yet been chosen.. Many of those continued in use even after one had been designated

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I have seen the symbolism explained. The red edge is the Northern Hemisphere with the evil (red) Northen interference in the South being replaced with the blue clear sky of the Southern Hemisphere. The seven stars are for the seven Confederate states. The white stripes are the seven Confederate states (white for purity) joining the pure white circle which is the Confederate nation. The eye is the Confederate president watching over the nation and also God being all seeing.

The flag was based on the Aurora Borealis of September 18 1859 which some seen as an omen. The red of the evil North fading as the cear skys of the South pushed back the evil sky of the North.

rebelatsea

1st Lieutenant
I have seen the symbolism explained. The red edge is the Northern Hemisphere with the evil (red) Northen interference in the South being replaced with the blue clear sky of the Southern Hemisphere. The seven stars are for the seven Confederate states. The white stripes are the seven Confederate states (white for purity) joining the pure white circle which is the Confederate nation. The eye is the Confederate president watching over the nation and also God being all seeing.

The flag was based on the Aurora Borealis of September 18 1859 which some seen as an omen. The red of the evil North fading as the cear skys of the South pushed back the evil sky of the North.
I thought it was somewhat masonic.

During the contest didn't a CSA Senator make the remark that the battleflag reminded him of a "Pair of Suspenders".
Correct, William Porcher Miles, the Chairman of the Committee on Flag and Seal, submitted his own design to the First National Flag competition in 1861, his flag contained seven stars on a blue Saltier, and was the predecessor the Battle Flag, Congress did not particularly like the flag, and, as you say, one Representative stated that it looked like a "Pair of Suspenders".

This is Miles' 1861 First National Flag proposal
SwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.png

Here are some more flags from the First National Flag competition

SwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.png

XVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.jpg

XVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.png

XVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.jpg

072e771bf8e4b3301c3ed332dd2ba84e.png

9ca7c72c4ed56ff5c929b4b2e35d04e6.jpg

1570665041554.png

confederateproposalabonand.jpg

confederateproposalAbonand2.png

confederateproposalhamiltoncoupes1stfeb1861.jpg

2870c05463ee330e3d060ddf472d3c73.png

RobertGilchristflag.png

juliabonetheau.png

confederateproposalanonymous3.jpg

confederateproposalanonymous1.jpg

confederateproposalireneriddle.png

View attachment 328925
Proposed2stars.png

confederateproposalanonymous4.png

I have more Confederate flag proposals, so feel free to let me know if you want to see more.

Last edited:

UncleBourbon

Private

Kirkwood Otey gets major props in my book if that design in the top left is a black and white Gadsden. John Sansom certainly included it in his.

Gadsden.jpg

J.M. Jennings had a pretty aesthetic design going for himself as well.

Here are some more flags from the First National Flag competition

I have more Confederate flag proposals, so feel free to let me know if you want to see more.

If you could please post the flags by Otey and Jennings, I would appreciate it a lot.

Last edited:
Kirkwood Otey gets major props in my book if that design in the top left is a black and white Gadsden. John Sansom certainly included it in his.

View attachment 329000

J.M. Jennings had a pretty aesthetic design going for himself as well.

If you could please post the flags by Otey and Jennings, I would appreciate it a lot.
Never heard of Otey and Jennings before, I might have to research that.

I've made an attempt at recreating that flag
OteyJennings.png

Last edited: