Confederate Depot Jacket (uniform specifications)

Klaudly

Sergeant
When the Confederates Depot began production, they began to produce jackets and other clothing. There are the official specifications provided by the Department Quatermaster describing how to make the jackets? Basically my question is: the jacket model was created based on specifications sent from Richmond or every local quatermaster officer decided how to make the jackets? Who decided on the length, single or double-breasted collar model etc? The same can also apply to the commutation, there were general indications provided to the producers? I personally never found books with the written specifications or orders.

(I could broaden the discourse to the ranks on the sleeves of the officers, there was a pattern to which the tailors had to rely sewing gallon on the sleeves? We know that at the beginning of the conflict there was a lot of confusion, for example the officers of the 1st Regiment of Rifles South Carolina had the wrong gallon on the sleeves, then who gave the correct picture?)

I am not sure how it worked in this case. I know that some times a sample piece of clothing was made and then once approved, the sample was used to make the items.

Back