Clover Hill Tavern.

Robert Gray

Sergeant Major
The Clover Hill Tavern at Appomattox Court House.
Timothy O'Sullivan (Library of Congress)

The tavern originally opened in 1819 on the Richmond-Lynchburg Road for travelers and is the oldest original structure in the village of Appomattox Court House. By 1865, the tavern had come on hard times – a "bare and cheerless place", according to one Union general. It was one of only two buildings in town used by the Federal army during the surrender process. Here, on the evening of April 10, 1865, Union soldiers set up printing presses and started producing paroles for the surrendered Confederates. The Federals printed more than 30,000 parole documents here.

Wikipedia
Appomattox Court House National Historical Park

03742v.jpg
Printing_press_inside_Clover_Hill_Tavern.jpg
Va.-Map-2.jpeg

Timely thread, thank you! It does look a little dreary but SO many buildings look this way you're a little surprised the officer took the time to describe it as ' cheerless '. Read a description of the surrender where the witness said McClean's house had violets and roses blooming and was quite lovely to look at.

Wouldn't you love to speak to one of these people, just one?

Are there men from 2 armies in this photo? Trooper leaning on the tree is not wearing a blue uniform- who does anyone think the men to the left may be? Seem too many, too young to be civilians. Men from both armies? Is that why O'Sullivan took the shot?

Question- anyone know whose home, please? It's Appomattox, can't figure out which building.

View attachment 301858
It seems a private residence no? Anyone know whose? I know this must have been a commonly used design in architecture at the time but it's not unlike McClean's house in 1861- Beauregard's HQ. That poor family, can you imagine?
Hmmmm...I can't find any Appomattox homes with 5 windows on second floor that are there today. :unsure:

Question- anyone know whose home, please? It's Appomattox, can't figure out which building.

View attachment 301858
It seems a private residence no? Anyone know whose? I know this must have been a commonly used design in architecture at the time but it's not unlike McClean's house in 1861- Beauregard's HQ. That poor family, can you imagine?

The Library of Congress attributes this photo to Brady and calls it a "Camp Scene--House on the Appomattox River". Brady took a number of photos in April 1865 of the Union supply depot on the Appomattox River. I suspect these men (civilian and soldiers) might be members of the Signal Corp. In one of the Brady photos (see below) a Union signal station is seen clearly in the background.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/usnationalarchives/sets/72157624252963844/

View attachment 301858
4153860330_42cb1c18bc_o2.jpg

Bolling House originally named "Mitchell's" (later "Bull Hill").

It stood in the present day "Mansion Hills" subdivision of Hopewell, Virginia on the south bank of the Appomattox River between Petersburg and City Point. It burned in 1925 and was later torn down. At the time of this photo, it was owned by the Bland family. Nearby Broadway Landing was used to land cattle during the siege of Petersburg. The house was shelled by Federal gunboats.
(Library of Congress)

View attachment 301971
Bolling House originally named "Mitchell's" (later "Bull Hill").

It stood in the present day "Mansion Hills" subdivision of Hopewell, Virginia on the south bank of the Appomattox River between Petersburg and City Point. It burned in 1925 and was later torn down. At the time of this photo, it was owned by the Bland family. Nearby Broadway Landing was used to land cattle during the siege of Petersburg. The house was shelled by Federal gunboats.
(Library of Congress)
Also it might be worth pointing out this is possibly the rear of the residence. Please correct me if I am mistaken for the benefit of all, but I normally expect to find a more elaborate front entrance, viz. a wider portico, veranda, or balcony in the front.
Lubliner.

View attachment 301858
Also it might be worth pointing out this is possibly the rear of the residence. Please correct me if I am mistaken for the benefit of all, but I normally expect to find a more elaborate front entrance, viz. a wider portico, veranda, or balcony in the front.
Lubliner.
The only existing photos show this side.

Back