Closed

These photos look as if they are from a online gun board selling website? Is this Spencer yours? If so could you post some photos of the serial #?. BTW the load lever is not correct to the Spencer.
 
These photos look as if they are from a online gun board selling website? Is this Spencer yours? If so could you post some photos of the serial #?. BTW the load lever is not correct to the Spencer.
Do you think this is a period adjustment or more modern? I could see that being a good alteration if I was wearing gloves
 
Do you think this is a period adjustment or more modern? I could see that being a good alteration if I was wearing gloves
Without better photos its hard to say but IMHO its not period:nah disagree:
 
This is as obviously someone's highly valued rifle. Only somebody who used that Spencer to hunt a lot would have gone to the expense of customizing it. The wear marks indicate, one assumes, putting meat on the table. It is a real beating swords into plowshares story. That gives this Spencer a very interesting story.

You can return it to a military appearance at some expense. Then you would have a wall hanger with replacement parts, i.e., of low value monetary or otherwise.
 
IMG_1882.jpeg


I agree, the loop on the lever was a good idea. It would be more ergonomic. I have often wondered what the Spencer Mark ll & Mark lll would have looked like. Spencer was a very clever designer. Very much a simple design is good design type.
 
I looked up this serial months ago when it was listed for sale on line and you can be sure that if it was in the SRS I would have bought it and if not me then a few dozen other collectors would have already bought it!
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top