CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 3-5-2020

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (22).jpg

This week Throwback Thursday revisits an event held on the campus of (then) Hill County Junior College in Hillsboro, Texas, site of the annual Confederate History Symposium originally begun there by Col. Harold B. Simpson, author of numerous books and articles on Hood's Texas Brigade. The Symposium was only for regular registered attendees but Col. Simpson liked to have a few reenactors around for local "color"; my very first event was here in the Spring of 1976, camping in our wall tents outside the then-Confederate Research Center, since renamed Texas Heritage Museum in an obvious nod to Political Correctness. A year or so later we returned, and are seen here lining up for some reason or other; Yours Truly is fourth from the right/end of the line, wearing my new Mexican War-era wheel hat. I also recognize members of our unit, the North Texas Reenactment Society, John Gattis (also wearing a wheel hat) and the late Glen Hargis in line intermixed with members of other various units. Amazingly, the institution still exists and is famous for its collection of original documents relating to Hood's Brigade, although it of course now downplays the fact.

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments or other events or vacation or other travel is welcome and encouraged to share them with us in this weekly thread!

Last edited:
Back