Civil war sword question

Jonnym

Cadet
Joined
Jul 7, 2017
Hi guys,

I recently bought this sword advertised as a civil war Horstmann Naval Officers m1852 but I'm thinking it may be a fake. Can anyone help with that? I'll post some pictures. It is in nice condition, a few things I think might be off though. The spelling of Horstman is with only 1 N and the wire wrapping appears to be fine copper. Any comments from anyone more knowledgeable then I would be appreciated as I can return it if I'm not happy. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0392.JPG
    IMG_0392.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0393.JPG
    IMG_0393.JPG
    385.3 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0397.JPG
    IMG_0397.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 199
Hi guys,

I recently bought this sword advertised as a civil war Horstmann Naval Officers m1852 but I'm thinking it may be a fake. Can anyone help with that? I'll post some pictures. It is in nice condition, a few things I think might be off though. The spelling of Horstman is with only 1 N and the wire wrapping appears to be fine copper. Any comments from anyone more knowledgeable then I would be appreciated as I can return it if I'm not happy. Thanks
Welcome, @Jonnym . The weapons experts among us will no doubt provide you all the info you need.
 
Your sword is not a modern reproduction. However, I am not well versed enough on the nuances to determine the exact time frame of production. We have some phenomenal sword experts here and I am rather confident they will be able to give you much more information than I can!
J.
 
I think I'd ask for my money back. Jobe may be right about it not being a modern reproduction - it doesn't look like one of the usual suspects and it appears to have some age to it. However it is not a Horstmann. Aside from the mis-spelling of the name, it's style is all wrong. Horstmann never used a font with slanting letters. The design features on the hilt are all too crudely modelled and not quite right, e.g. the leaves are too long.. I don't know what it is, but since it is not what it purports to be, I'd turn it back.
 
I think I'd ask for my money back. Jobe may be right about it not being a modern reproduction - it doesn't look like one of the usual suspects and it appears to have some age to it. However it is not a Horstmann. Aside from the mis-spelling of the name, it's style is all wrong. Horstmann never used a font with slanting letters. The design features on the hilt are all too crudely modelled and not quite right, e.g. the leaves are too long.. I don't know what it is, but since it is not what it purports to be, I'd turn it back.
"Not as advertised" is a perfectly reasonable reason to return for refund. Keep looking: the real thing is out there....
 
Actually, the etch is ok and the mark style ok, as used. This per Peter Tuite's book
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1931464162/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

Reference figure 6.23 and notes in that chapter for Horstmann marks. The missing N is not the first I have seen. Apparently some even marked hw instead of WH. Whether the template just didn't fit or the N simply omitted, I wouldn't condemn the sword due to that. The wire could have been a replacement but at the same time, not the only use of a coiled wire I have seen.

If anything, leave it as well post war.

Cheers

GC
 
Last edited:
Hi! I'm sorry that I don't know much at all about swords, but I do like them. I am confident you will get lots of good information about yours here. Welcome from Missouri.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top