archieclement

Colonel
In my tennessee ramblings today came across several examples

IMG_20200923_113132888.jpg
IMG_20200923_113109019.jpg

Hope foreground McClellan in back
IMG_20200923_091700138.jpg

Last edited:
The first is a Grimsley Valise saddle. I am partial to the Grimsley Dragoon Saddle. It was invented by Thornton Grimsley of St. Louis in 1847. It was adopted for use by all of the mounted forces. Dragoon, Mounted Rifles, later Cavalry, Artillery and Officers of all branches. It was used until 1859 when the McClellan was adopted. It was a very popular saddle, and remained in used during the Civil War. Many were used by Confederate forces when the Southern Arsenals were captured.

grimsleycavsaddle.jpg

Last edited:
When I purchased this book I learned great deal about Confederate saddles and horse equipment, perhaps more than I needed to know. Just how much do I need to know about Confederate curry combs & horse brushes? A Confederate reenactor much need to know the difference between Eastern theater and Western theater Confederate curry combs but I am not sure I need to know the difference. But if I ever did need to know the difference I could pull out this book.

con s.jpg

Last edited:
When I purchased this book I learned great deal about Confederate saddles and horse equipment, perhaps more than I needed to know. Just how much do I need to know about Confederate curry combs & horse brushes? A Confederate reenactor much need to know the difference between Eastern theater and Western theater Confederate curry combs but I am not sure I need to know the difference. But if I ever did need to know the difference I could pull out this book.

View attachment 375557
Unfortunately one does not need to be a reenacted to feel the need to know the difference of those curry combs. Some of us are truly infected with the "sickness".

Back