Civil War magazines

FPT

Private
Let me share my experiences with ACW magazines, framed prints and books...

Magazines: I began subscribing to CWTI in the early 80's and America's Civil War in the late 80's I stopped both subscriptions in the 90's or early 2000's because I no longer found the articles to be interesting and able to keep my attention. I periodically would buy ACW related magazines if there was an article that seemed interesting but have not bought a magazine in probably 10 years. I ran out of room for the magazines years ago (after shipping them cross-country - fortunately at my then employer's expense). No one was interested in taking them, so they all ended up in the recycle bin.

Framed Prints: I obtained my first print in 1984: Dale Gallon's "Action Front". I believe that it was his first and it may have been the one that started the ACW framed print craze. I have a few more but this is my favorite. I purchased framed prints because, one, I liked the subject matter of each one and, two, I believed the mantra that there might be some future investment value. Now that my wife and I are looking to downsize our housing, I have been trying to sell all of them (except "Action Front"). Offers that I have received have been less than what it would cost to ship them. Thank gawd I do not have to rely on the investment value to eat.

Books: I started collecting ACW books long before the magazines and framed prints and have a sizable ACW library. Downsizing has forced me to make some tough decisions. Used book stores have little interest in purchasing ACW books and public libraries, at least where I live in Colorado, refuse to accept any book donations.

That is my tale, sad but true (at least to me). Curious to see if other folks have the same experiences.

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Let me share my experiences with ACW magazines, framed prints and books...

Magazines: I began subscribing to CWTI in the early 80's and America's Civil War in the late 80's I stopped both subscriptions in the 90's or early 2000's because I no longer found the articles to be interesting and able to keep my attention. I periodically would buy ACW related magazines if there was an article that seemed interesting but have not bought a magazine in probably 10 years. I ran out of room for the magazines years ago (after shipping them cross-country - fortunately at my then employer's expense). No one was interested in taking them, so they all ended up in the recycle bin.

Framed Prints: I obtained my first print in 1984: Dale Gallon's "Action Front". I believe that it was his first and it may have been the one that started the ACW framed print craze. I have a few more but this is my favorite. I purchased framed prints because, one, I liked the subject matter of each one and, two, I believed the mantra that there might be some future investment value. Now that my wife and I are looking to downsize our housing, I have been trying to sell all of them (except "Action Front"). Offers that I have received have been less than what it would cost to ship them. Thank gawd I do not have to rely on the investment value to eat.

Books: I started collecting ACW books long before the magazines and framed prints and have a sizable ACW library. Downsizing has forced me to make some tough decisions. Used book stores have little interest in purchasing ACW books and public libraries, at least where I live in Colorado, refuse to accept any book donations.

That is my tale, sad but true (at least to me). Curious to see if other folks have the same experiences.
I wish there was a "neutral" emoticon. From the little I know of prints, of any kind, they are a drug on the market. You have them because you like them. I thought there was a note in here - from a few years ago - can't remember who wrote it - where a fellow met a stranger, maybe in Gettysburg at a restaurant or Inn and they were chatting. The other fellow was saying how he had his retirement "all set" with all his Civil War prints. The writer in this forum said, "he didn't have the heart to tell him that there was basically no value in them." The collecting mindset of "limited editions" and such like of the '80s is over for that type of stuff.

Unless it is a very special type of book from a very special author, that too is over. Goodwill takes them and if you look at eBay or Amazon used books, Goodwill sells a lot of history books online now for charity.

FPT

Private
Well, I guess it was a good thing that I did not get into Pet Rocks, Cabbage Patch Kids or Beanie Babies...

Another anecdote from today: for years my wife collected McCoy Pottery, a long
defunct brand of pottery manufactured in Zanesville, OH. She had sold some pieces a couple of years ago and decided, except for maybe 5 pieces, to get rid of the rest. She sold 25 pieces today for a pittance just to get rid of them.

I guess that if I still have any collecting "addiction" it is ACW miniatures that I paint and make dioramas with. (Non-collecting addictions include golf, ice cream and chocolate cake.)

(So much for ACW subjects and comments.)

Over the years I have purchased literally hundreds of issues of all the major publications cited. However the only 2 I have subscribed to are NORTH AND SOUT and BLUE AND GREY. As soon as I heard that N&W had revived from the dead I immediately resubscribed. They are un paralelled as a general CW publication. They only reason I mention B &G is that if you want to read about any specific battle is they will give the definitive account. When you're finished you know almost what every Tom, Dick and Harry did during the battle.

All the other publications, especially in the last 5-8 years or so decided that to remain current they would have to re mold themselves to resemble an internet site. It got to the point that I almost had to put a gun to my head to make myself read their articles. And I specifically refer to all the specific magazines mentioned above.