Childrens Names

she advised her daughter to keep the chosen name to herself & husband.
My daughter was worried someone would either respond: "That is what I want to name my child" or "You should name her after ____".
For the next one, she named her Lilliana--- forgetting that her own grandmother's name was Lillibeth. Close enough. Her Grandmother's grandmother was named Lillie Mae.

My daughter was worried someone would either respond: "That is what I want to name my child" or "You should name her after ____".
For the next one, she named her Lilliana--- forgetting that her own grandmother's name was Lillibeth. Close enough. Her Grandmother's grandmother was named Lillie Mae.
Lovely names, all. Good for your daughter!

My Gr-Gr-Grandfather was names James Beauregard Tilghman but there are no Beauregard families in my tree.
When I got back in front of my Puter, I searched for more Civil War era names. I couldn't find any. I guess I was thinking about my wife has a lineage of the BOOTH family. They are no kin as J. W. Booth's father had no male descendants with that surname, according to my source.

Also, one of the Gr-Grandson's of my James Beauregard Tilghman is Todd Tilghman---last year's winner of The Voice. I'm 2nd Cousin to Todd Tilghman.

Naming children isn't always easy. Children are named after family members and historical figures like George Washington and Robert E. Lee. During the War and after were children ever named after Civil War battles/places?

We were blessed with daughters and our oldest is named Shiloh.
In my genealogical research I have 2 ancestors, born during the ACW with the first and middle name "Elmer Ellsworth". A cousin of my father's was always called by his initials "U.G." which stood for Union Government. He was born in late 1861. The area of Southern Illinois I grew up in was a hotbed of copperhead activity in those days and I'm thinking some folks just wanted to be firm about where they stood.

If you're interested in baseball, there's Kenesaw Mountain Landis, the first commissioner of baseball (and a federal judge for the Northern District of Illinois). He was born 11/20/1866 in Millville, Ohio. According to Wikipedia, his folks had a hard time coming up with a name, so his mother named him for the battle of Kenesaw Mountain where his father had been wounded during the Civil War.

A couple at my church named their daughter Katrina the same year the hurricane hit NOLA. I thought that was weird. But I'm guessing by the time she's grown it won't matter.

And I bet @The Walking Dead a whole lot of Shiloh's friends will not know her name is anything but a pretty sounding name. I can just imagine the day they get to that unit in history...
Or if somebody at home listens to an oldies station, they may think she was named for the song. :D

I wanted to name our first son Robert Lee but my Buffalo NY husband said absolutely not. The name he ended up approving was, we found out many years later, the same as a long ago relative of mine who fought for the Confederacy. Karma or fate? 😮

Speaking of Karma, I worked with a woman whose parents celebrated getting their last child out of the house and off to college by attending a rock concert and generally acting like they were young again. And then Karma happened 😂 so that is what they named her!

My husband’s middle name, which has been passed down a couple of generations is “Sherman.” I’ll confess, the first time I heard it, I didn’t think of the CW, but “Sherman and Peabody!” His great-grandfather was Andy Jackson - not Andrew Jackson but Andy Jackson, which on that side was a German immigrant family in the mid-West. His other g-grandfather was William Sherman Johnson, so Sherman traveled three generations.

I have not seen that in any of my extended family research. I think for many people who lived through the War, the names of battles or places where battles took place would have sad connotations and they would be less likely to choose them.
I can't find my source on this at the moment, but I have come across a story of a soldier who received a debilitating wound in a battle that resulted in his being permanently discharged. He went home and immediately fathered a son whom he named after the battle with the idea that if it (the battle) hadn't happened neither would the son!

A Texas governor with the last name of Hogg named one of his daughters Ima. She had fun with her name and wasn't ashamed of it. I think she inherited well and became a big-time philanthropist. Long before the internet people used to say Ima had a sister name Ura or Sheza but that's false (fake news of the day). I remember my father telling me that (I thought he was pulling my leg but I now think he actually believed the rumors).
We had kids in my high school whose last names were Hogg and Mudd. Fine families. The kids never dated each other, but if they had and married could you imagine the write up in the papers back then announcing the engagement and the nuptials?? That would be a difficult headline to write.

We had kids in my high school whose last names were Hogg and Mudd. Fine families. The kids never dated each other, but if they had and married could you imagine the write up in the papers back then announcing the engagement and the nuptials?? That would be a difficult headline to write.
Those kids would not have been happy about the engagement jokes.
:whistling:

We had a poor little guy in elementary school that was awkward from the start , but also had the unfortunate
surname of "Pigg" .

One can imagine the abuse he endured.
The sad thing was ... he was actually a pretty cool little boy , (once one got to know him).

I think that was the first time I realized how cruel many kids could be to each other.
( and he was the type that would not stand-up to bullies)

:frown:

I have not seen that in any of my extended family research. I think for many people who lived through the War, the names of battles or places where battles took place would have sad connotations and they would be less likely to choose them.

Agree with the point made about the possible sad connotations created for those with living connections to the war, by adopting names of battles or places where so much misery and suffering occurred.

On the other hand, can also see the appeal to later generations of using famous battle/place names as given names, especially if it is to commemorate or honor an ancestor's involvement at these locations.

Ladies and gents, just a word of advice: If you are expecting twins and want to name them Little Round Top and Big Round Top because . . . "Civil War", please rethink your options. The nurse or ward clerk helping you to fill out the certificates will give you grief. The medical records director will give you grief. Why? Because the county Department of Public Health who actually certifies the certificates will give them serious grief. DPH has absolutely no sense of humor when it comes to certain types of "creative" names. Since the certificates have the address(es) of the parents on them, you may be getting grief directly from the DPH as well. Trust me, this was not an issue that ever crossed my mind when I was offered the promotion to Director of Records. :timebomb:

Back