Check out this colorization...!

Viper21

Brigadier General
Official Vendor
I think this is a GREAT Colorization, from the famous photo of the Confederate trio at Gettysburg.

_nc_ohc=UpIfqQhaYPAAX_uAiX3&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=-UN4-9bAEwwAX9tBKBL&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=gOES3XsfrUMAX8QKnBU&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

** Before posting these photos, I obtained permission from Mr Hayes @ LJ Hayes Colorizations. **

I also invited him to join CWT. He has an amazing collection of photos he's colorized. Many of them really bring to life, the folks pictured.

Wow! That color is amazing. I remember Shelby Foote stating that he was very fond of that photograph and how it portrayed those 3 confederates who were captured, I believe, at Gettysburg. Great post. First class.
Agreed..! I fell in love with the original photo, the first time I saw it. It's truly an amazing photo. I was pretty impressed with this colorized version. Which is why I wanted to share it.

The flesh tones look great. I would like to see more color shades to the grays. It could have more color and shadows & wear patterns in the hat and shirt and pants. I think think I see a worn spot in the toe of his shoe that could be a leather color.
I'm just thinking from the viewpoint of a figure painter. I was told to never make gray from mixing just Black and White; add a tint of red or blue or some color.

I think this is a GREAT Colorization, from the famous photo of the Confederate trio at Gettysburg.

View attachment 353640

View attachment 353641

View attachment 353642

** Before posting these photos, I obtained permission from Mr Hayes @ LJ Hayes Colorizations. **

I also invited him to join CWT. He has an amazing collection of photos he's colorized. Many of them really bring to life, the folks pictured.

This is fantastic realism! Thanks for posting.

This is fantastic realism!...

This is fantastic piece of art, but respectfully there's no realism at all in colorization as a process. All color is completely interjected. This is an artwork, not an artifact.

This artwork is about the best I've seen lately. It's to be admired and -- from the artist's standpoint -- valued.

But to be honest though, imho, even this fine image could benefit from a more-studied historical assessment of materials.* For instance no boots or shoes at that time were grey (that was a 1960s thing, not an 1860s thing), to note two of the sets of footwear shown here. These could benefit by a tweak (ever so slightly to the warm side) to be more authentic-looking as worn black leather. And although the butternut/tan colors of the various fabrics appropriately vary in relative lightness/darkness, they are all of the same hue. Can you see it? These could benefit by a variance in hue for each item (ever so nominally to the red or green side for each) to be more authentic-looking (at a minimum they all should be differentiated from the same tan hues applied to the rails and the ground.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* trusting the artist appreciates feedback as much as praise

This is fantastic piece of art, but respectfully there's no realism at all in colorization as a process. All color is completely interjected. This is an artwork, not an artifact.

This artwork is about the best I've seen lately. It's to be admired and -- from the artist's standpoint -- valued.

But to be honest though, imho, even this fine image could benefit from a more-studied historical assessment of materials.* For instance no boots or shoes at that time were grey (that was a 1960s thing, not an 1860s thing), to note two of the sets of footwear shown here. These could benefit by a tweak (ever so slightly to the warm side) to be more authentic-looking as worn black leather. And although the butternut/tan colors of the various fabrics appropriately vary in relative lightness/darkness, they are all of the same hue. Can you see it? These could benefit by a variance in hue for each item (ever so nominally to the red or green side for each) to be more authentic-looking (at a minimum they all should be differentiated from the tan hues applied to the rails and the ground.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* trusting the artist appreciates feedback as much as praise
We must be looking at different photos. I don't see any grey footwear. I see black footwear that is, well worn, & filthy with dust/dirt/etc..

We must be looking at different photos. I don't see any grey footwear. I see black footwear that is, well worn, & filthy with dust/dirt/etc..

...ok then, black footwear well worn & filthy with grey dust and dirt. I'll not refute your view of it.

It's just that in my and DixieRifles' view is it would be more believable to account for the color of scuffed black leather, and I think the ground on which these shoes trod should also be considered (I don't recall the color of Gettysburg dirt from my reenactments there, but I've wiped off red Georgia clay and green Kentucky grass stains from my black boots).

Last edited:
The details in this colorization is excellently done! The small details, like dust, the soil and the background colors is the gem here. Plus the colors of the men's clothing and so on is not simple "Blue, Gray, or Butternut" like most colorizations, but pretty close to actual colors of the period.

This image speaks of a great deal of research on the artist's part. Excellent work on his part.

...The details in this colorization is excellently done! The small details...the colors of the men's clothing and so on is not simple "Blue, Gray, or Butternut" like most colorizations, but pretty close to actual colors of the period...

...a period in which dye lots, especially Confederate, varied considerably. For this clothing, not likely issued at the the same time or place, the butternut/tan hues in this artwork could be more believably variable, that's all. Any display of Confederate artifacts demonstrates this well enouh. That's not to refute that this colorization is well done already, striking really.

Last edited:
...a period in which dye lots, especially Confederate, varied considerably. For this clothing, not likely issued at the the same time or place, the butternut/tan hues in this artwork could be more believably variable, that's all. Any display of Confederate artifacts demonstrates this well enouh. That's not to refute that this colorization is well done already, striking really.

No doubt, perhaps I should have said the colors here looked to be based in reality rather than the constant colorizations that show the same shade of blue, gray and butternut, that usually didn't exist back then.

One word - - - - - WOW!!!!
Powerful image isn't it..? I like them all but, the stand alone, "Johnny Reb" is something else. That doesn't look like a picture of 150+ yrs ago. It looks like somebodies son, husband, brother, etc. Really comes to life with this colorization. I was really taken by it, when I saw it.

...ok then, black footwear well worn & filthy with grey dust and dirt. I'll not refute your view of it.

It's just that in my and DixieRifles' view is it would be more believable to account for the color of scuffed black leather, and I think the ground on which these shoes trod should also be considered (I don't recall the color of Gettysburg dirt from my reenactments there, but I've wiped off red Georgia clay and green Kentucky grass stains from my black boots).
We may very well be seeing two different things. My eyesight isn't what it once was :cool: Just looked like well worn boots to me.

I've got a nice pair of Danner brown work boots, that I've had for years. They don't really look brown anymore.

Fantastic Job. I have always loved his work.

Back