Charles Carter - Robert E. Lee's Grandfather

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

gentlemanrob

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Charles Carter
Charles Carter.jpg

Born: January 1, 1732

Birthplace: Shirley Plantation, Charles City County, Virginia

Father: John Armistead Carter 1690 – 1742
(Buried: Shirley Plantation Cemetery, Charles City County, Virginia)​

Mother: Elizabeth Hill 1708 – 1773

1st Wife: Mary Walker Carter 1736 – 1770
(Buried: Christ Church Cemetery, Weems, Virginia)​

2nd Wife: Anne Butler Moore 1756 - 1809

Children:

Elizabeth Hill Carter Randolph 1764 – 1832​
(Buried: Randolph Family Cemetery, Casanova, Virginia)​
Charles B. Carter 1766 – 1807​
(Buried: Mount Atlas Cemetery, Haymarket, Virginia)​
Edward Carter 1767 – 1806​
(Buried: Cloverland – Carter Cemetery, Haymarket, Virginia)​
Robert Hill Carter 1771 – 1772​
Anne Hill Carter Lee 1773 – 1829​
(Buried: Lee Chapel Museum, Lexington, Virginia)​
Dr. Robert Hill Carter 1774 – 1805​
Bernard Carter 1776 – 1776​
John Carter 1777 – 1784​
Catherine Spotswood Carter 1778 – 1809​
Bernard Moore Carter 1780 – 1842​
(Buried: Laurel Hill Cemetery, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)​
Williams Lee Carter 1782 – 1866​
Butler Carter 1784 – 1786​
Mildred Walker Carter 1786 – 1807​
Lucy Carter 1789 – 1824​
William Fitzhugh Carter 1791 – 1855​
Infant Daughter Carter 1792 – 1792​
Infant Carter 1794 – 1794​
Calphemia Carter 1796 – 1797​

About:

During the first War for American Independence (1776-1783) Shirley Plantation and the Carter's of Shirley played a vital role in the forming of the new nation. Charles Carter, fifth generation owner of Shirley, was a loyal member of the House of Burgesses. He was member of the House representing two localities, Lancaster and Charles City County, from 1758 until 1774. The reasons this membership ceased was due to the Declaration of Independence being signed and the House of Burgesses was dissolved by Governor Lord Dunmore.

Charles then served as a member of Virginia Convention of March and December, 1775. He then served in Charles City County Militia during the Revolutionary War, but records do not indicate that he saw any action. Charles allowed his James River home of Shirley to serve as a supply depot for the Continental Army towards the end of the war. This action allowed the Marquis de Lafayette to supply his army with the munitions and armaments needed to besiege Yorktown, ultimately resulting in General Lord Cornwallis' surrender and the United States of America becoming an independent and sovereign nation.

Charles Carter's will of 1803 reads: "That is to say I commend my body to the Earth to be decently laid near my honored parents as soon after my decease as may be convenient, without any funeral pomp and nothing but the burial service to be read over my grave by the parson of the Parish (should we be so fortunate as to have one among us) for which trouble, I desire he may be amply paid: And when this my departure may happen, I earnestly request of my family and friends that they do not go into mourning or wear black clothes; and this whim I expect they will gratify me in, as I always thought the custom absurd and extravagant answering no good purpose that I know of."

Died: January 24, 1806

Place of Death: Charles City County, Virginia

Age at time of Death: 74 years Old

Burial Place: Shirley Plantation Cemetery, Charles City County, Virginia

Last edited by a moderator:

Lubliner

First Sergeant
Interesting facts. Lee's maternal Grandfather died one year before Robert Lee was born. Also this gives me question as to how Robert came by his middle name of Edward? Edward Carter died the same year in 1806, but lineage normally involves naming from an espousal, doesn't it?
Robert's maternal Grandmother supposedly bore many children, from the years 1764 to 1796. But Mary Walker being the wife of Charles Carter is given her death in 1770. (I double checked). So digging a bit more, Lee's mother Annie Hill Carter who was born in 1773 was from Charles and Anne Butler Moore. Interesting confusion. Can someone tell me if I am right or wrong; genealogy is not a strong forte of mine.
@gentlemanrob
Thank you,
Lubliner.

gentlemanrob

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Interesting facts. Lee's maternal Grandfather died one year before Robert Lee was born. Also this gives me question as to how Robert came by his middle name of Edward? Edward Carter died the same year in 1806, but lineage normally involves naming from an espousal, doesn't it?
Robert's maternal Grandmother supposedly bore many children, from the years 1764 to 1796. But Mary Walker being the wife of Charles Carter is given her death in 1770. (I double checked). So digging a bit more, Lee's mother Annie Hill Carter who was born in 1773 was from Charles and Anne Butler Moore. Interesting confusion. Can someone tell me if I am right or wrong; genealogy is not a strong forte of mine.
@gentlemanrob
Thank you,
Lubliner.
I went back and Added Anne Butler Moore 1750 - 1809 I wonder if General Lee had any mention of his maternal grandmother as she dies when he is very young Thanks for catching that. My guess is General Lee's middle name comes from his uncle on the Carter side since the Lee side show's no evidence of an Edward.

Lubliner

First Sergeant
I went back and Added Anne Butler Moore 1750 - 1809 I wonder if General Lee had any mention of his maternal grandmother as she dies when he is very young Thanks for catching that. My guess is General Lee's middle name comes from his uncle on the Carter side since the Lee side show's no evidence of an Edward.
Check out this site right here--
ttps://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/Carter_Charles_1732-1806.
It claims one set of twins from the first marriage.
Thanks,
Lubliner.