Cemetery Star

A follow-up: The owner of the antique shop, where I got the cemetery star, did a column in the local paper today featuring the star I bought. She said that in the past, in her group shop, she had never considered they might have been stolen. She actually made a public plea that if anyone has these stars, they can drop them off at her shop - no questions asked - and she will make sure they get to the right person (me actually) so they can be transferred to the appropriate veteran's grave.

I don't know how much good it will actually do or what will come of it, but I'm glad she kept her word about writing about it and trying to stop the collecting of them in our area.

We have so much snow in our area right now. When the snow finally goes and the ground thaws, I'll work with the Department of Public Works in our town and I get the star put on an appropriate grave. I'll load pictures here when the time comes.
 
I have 2 CS Vets grave markers that were placed by the UDC. During WW1 a lot of these were removed and the brass used for shells.
 
In Iowa the Veterans affairs commission Supplies Veteran markers at no cost to graves without them.
The old GAR markers were cast iron and Easy broken, I have a broken one that was tossed into the junk pile.
In this area there are very few of the old GAR markers, In the last few years most of the missing markers have been replaced with new markers.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top