Cedar Mountain - 2017

Frederick14Va

Sergeant Major
155th Anniversary of the Battle of Cedar Mountain - Living History & Demo Program...
We portrayed a two gun horse drawn section of Knapp's Battery
P1060724-b.jpg

P1060743-b.jpg

P1060819-b.jpg

P1060791-b.jpg
P1060769-b.jpg
P1060753-b.jpg
P1060760-b.jpg

(retire by prolonge)
P1060825-b.jpg

I was just here in June as part of the CWI2017 seminar. I recognize the terrain! It can be brutally hot out in the open: it was about 98 degrees the day we were there:frown:

155th Anniversary of the Battle of Cedar Mountain - Living History & Demo Program...
We portrayed a two gun horse drawn section of Knapp's Battery
Thanks for posting this.
Certainly gives a glimpse into an artilleryman's 'day at the office'.

Last edited:
The respective group is a collective effort of several campaigner grade authentic artillery battery's that frequently work together to form artillery sections or sometimes whole batteries... for a given historical portrayal reflective of time and place... In this case at Cedar Mountain we were guns portraying either Knap's Battery (US) or Pogues Battery (CS)... We all do both US or CS as the venue may necessitate.. Most times we have at least two guns that can be horse drawn... Habitually a rarity at most reenactments or living history programs due to the expense and logistical requirements to do so.. but so impressive to have the horses, limbers and guns come thundering in, drop and spin around into action front.... very physically demanding... and much different than the usual static gun demo's. We also use authentic period artillery drill rather than what is commonly seen by most being used at majority of mainstream events... which is entirely different...

Ah i see. They got someone to cut that field because when I was up there a month ago or so, that field was knee high and looked like a snake haven.

Ah i see. They got someone to cut that field because when I was up there a month ago or so, that field was knee high and looked like a snake haven.

Yep. I walked around there about a month before also and it was pretty gnarly. Had to walk the road at one point.

I was there Sunday morning, and it was a very enjoyable program. It was warm, but the humidity was lower than it had been the previous days.

Back