Shenandoah Valley 1864 Cedar Creek: Aftermath

In my reading on Cedar Creek, it doesn't seem like many works have much focus on the aftermath of the battle. Any hints towards primary or secondary sources pointing towards treatment of the wounded, burial of the dead, and the aftermath? After all, the Union army is camping right there, besides the slain in their former campgrounds.

I've also been going through the National Tribune, but hints towards veterans writing about the battle (especially if they visited!) would also be great.

Thanks!

About half the letter is devoted to the aftermath.

Camp near Cedar Creek, Va., Oct. 21, 1864

Dear Father:
I suppose before this reaches you, you will have heard of the great battle of the 19th inst., but thinking that probably a few lines from me will allay your uneasiness at home, I'll begin: The rebs, fifteen thousand strong, under command of General Early, surprised us in camp before daylight in the morning of the 19th, by a part of them dressing in our uniform, and relieving our skirmishers who thought they were the relief. They were then taken prisoners, and the rebels marched in line of battle into the 1st Division of our command, and captured one battery, which they turned on the camp, and charged at the same time, waking the boys up, capturing or killing them. This raised a stampede. The first division ran through our camp, which was aroused by this time. The rebs at the same time charged into the camp of the 19th corps. We just got up and dusted without any breakfast.—(Our Regiment being cattle guard, had a little start of the rest. We just made the cattle fly through the fields.) We fell back three miles before we could get a chance to form a line. We done [sic] it and checked the rebels, who by this time had twenty-six (26) pieces of our own artillery playing on us. The 91st kept going. We met Gen. Sheridan at Newtown, coming from Winchester as hard as his horse could go. He stopped and asked a few questions, and told us to go three miles farther, halt, and form a line to stop stragglers. He then started on, saying he would drive the rebs back or die. He came to the front, and rode along the lines, telling the boys to fear nothing, stand firm, and he would make the enemy sleep on their own side of the creek that night, if they sleep at all. The boys cheered all along the line, long and loud. He rode with his cap off, shot and shell flying thick and fast about him, but none struck him. Major Cadot sent two companies on to Winchester, with the cattle, and started to the front with about a brigade of stragglers. We got up in time to see the fun.—About 2 o'clock the rebel lines began to waver. The cavalry were ordered to charge the rebel position, which was behind a stone fence. They were repulsed twice. The infantry then charged with a line of artillery, and started them. The cavalry were then let in, and the fun commenced. In the meantime, Gen. Powell's division of cavalry went up the Luray Valley and came into the Shenandoah at Brown's Gap. They got into the rebel works at Fisher's Hill, and laid [sic] there until we drove them across Cedar Creek, when they attacked them in the rear. This caused them to take to the mountains on each side. They had to leave their artillery and train. The cavalry was still pushing them. The captures up to this time, is [sic] five thousand prisoners, fifty-four pieces of artillery, (besides what they took from us) and about two hundred wagons and ambulances, with all their horses and drivers. The loss on both sides in killed and wounded, is about ten thousand. We camped that night on the same spot we occupied in the morning. Next morning we found that most of our dead were stripped to the skin. Several were beat to death after being wounded. The prisoners were taken to Sheridan's Head-quarters to be examined. Everything they had pertaining to our uniform, and everything belonging to our soldiers, were [sic] taken from them. They grumbled considerably at the manner of proceeding. Some of them had to do without pants, others without coats. You see that when they came to one of our men that had good clothes (and there were a great many, because we drew clothing the day before), they just pulled off their lousy clothes and appropriated those that were on the dead.
Yesterday morning was very cold, and I went down to the rebel ambulance train—the rebs still driving.—I saw one thieving looking rebel, wrapped up in two large blankets, and looking very comfortable. There was one cavalryman for every team for guard. I stepped upon the other side, and told Mr. Reb I would trouble him for those blankets. He asked me if I wasn't joking. I then reached for his neck, and he found I was in earnest. So he handed me the blankets without another word. I just got away in time to escape the guard. The consequence was that I slept very comfortable last night. I think the campaign is over, unless Early or some other lousy rebel General sees fit to bring us down some more artillery, in which case, we will receive it. The cavalry are beyond Newmarket still picking up prisoners. Lieut. Hamilton and company are well, so is [sic] all A, myself, too.—Give my love to all. Write soon. Believe me,
Your affectionate son,
A. W. Langley
I also captured a fresh supply of Staunton tobacco.

Back