CDV with Signatures

Kathymarie3392

Private
Joined
Jul 2, 2019
Selling a few items and was trying to figure out who these gentleman were?

7014F9C6-8595-41E6-A17A-38AF76181607.jpeg
 
@Kathymarie3392 I can't make out the photographer's mark on the bottom of the mat? Is it Camden, SC? Columbia, SC? or something else? And is it a CDV or a cabinet card?
 
@lelliott19 I just think you will think this is cool too because I have talked to you so much in the past. Which I think you are super knowledgeable and very helpful. I am excited to see your still here. It's been a few years! I did a reverse search on this out of the same collection and it showed up billy the kid. I see some similarities but think they look slightly different too. But they are different poses…. What do you think? I

19DB997B-3263-42FA-8D17-160306B24C53.png


C11AC808-7F3A-4DB2-B994-D7C18FF3A6AD.jpeg
 
It says Cook.
Cook is a very well-known Charleston photographer. CDV's generally measure about 2.5 x 4 inches. If the photo itself measures around 5.5 x 4 inches and the mount is about 6x4 then its a cabinet card. The cabinet card came around first in 1866 and gradually surpassed the CDV in popularity.

James G. Moffett and Alfred J Creighton (two of the signatories on your image) were involved in the shipping trade at Charleston and New York. I havent located the other two men associated with shipping yet, but I really haven't done much searching.
1640010397417.png

Edgefield Advertiser., October 21, 1868, page 1.
 
Moffett served in the 7th SC Cavalry. Not finding any records for Alfred J Creighton or A J Creighton under that spelling in SC or GA but Fold 3 has a notice up that an issue with the search is returning incomplete results. I'll try again later for Creighton.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top