Cavalry Question

Some cavalrymen didn't bother with saddling their trusty steed. Take Kilpatrick, for example. He was wearing his nightie and a pair of socks when Wheeler's boys obliged him to take to his horse! (Miss Boozer was wearing a little less...but she was all right to be left gallantly behind...:confused:) Later, while Sherman and Johnston were dickering over the surrender terms, Wade Hampton and Kilpatrick came to blows over Kills-Cavalry's Shirttail Skedaddle! Don't know what ol' Judson thought he was going to do - reach up and drum his little fists into Hampton's belt buckle? But, alas, he was kept from being a mere grease spot on the back porch by Sherman and Johnston...the generals plucked the two would-be combatants apart. :giggle:

I sincerely doubt that they unloaded their arms at night-after all, that would defeat the purpose of being able to ride and fight at a moment's notice.

In the 19th Century it was common practice to leave muzzle loaders loaded for long periods of time, which explains why so many old muzzle loaders found in closets and attics are found still loaded.

An Incident of the Civil War.

When the noble Tennessee River reaches Lookout Mt. it bends almost at a right angle toward the West, just south of the boundary of the State of Tennessee, and after a westwardly course of a hundred miles or more, its width becomes much greater and its surface is broken by many islands, some of them cleared and cultivated, as the soil is very rich; the width of the river is caused by the water flowing over a great ledge of limestone for many miles, and the depth of the current is so much less that steamboats cannot pass this obstruction, known as Muscle Shoals.

Many years before the Civil War, the National Government had dug a canal, for the use of keelboats, along the Northern shore; steamboats at that time had not come into use, but at the time of the war, the canal was not used, and its bed was dry.

One Saturday early in the month of May, 1864, a company of Confederate cavalry, about 60 strong, crossed the river at the mouth of Shoal Creek, for the purpose of finding out what the Federal Cavalry at Athens Alabama was doing. After crossing, they took the main road East, and having ridden 15 or 20 miles, camped for the night, half a mile north of the river, and south of the road; and having put out a strong picket, and eaten a frugal meal, went to rest. As soon as day broke the camp was astir, and the men at once fed their horses, and made their ablutions, and having had breakfast of cold cornbread and broiled bacon, washed down with a drink of water, each man at once saddled his horse.

It was plain to see that these men were not holiday soldiers, loaded down with tents, camp stoves and baggage; each man carried his rations in a small leather saddle-bag and had usually a change of underclothes. They were nearly all about 18 or 20 years of age, and almost all had served 3 years.

By this time the sun was just above the horizon, and the men were standing around the fire, smoking their pipes, when a single report of a gun was heard in the still air of the morning, quickly followed by a dozen more. "Yankees" was the cry, and each soldier at once mounted his horse; there was no panic, for these men were veterans of many a fight. The Captain instantly formed the command in column of twos; told off a dozen men to assist the pickets, when they were driven in; and led the column at a sharp trot in the direction of the river. At this time it occurred to the writer, then a lad of 19, that Company "K" was in a very bad position, with the river on the south, impassable, and a regiment of Yankees on the north.

After a rapid ride of a mile in a direction diagonal to the course of the river, we rode across the dry bed of the old canal, and came down to the water edge; just opposite to us, and about one hundred yards distant, was a small island probably eight hundred feet long, and rising from six to ten feet above the surface of the river. We at once rode across to it, through a narrow ford, the depth not being over four feet; we were then ordered to take our horses to the further side of the island, and to hitch them under the bank, so that they would be protected from the fire of the enemy; having done this, we took shelter behind trees or earthen banks, and waited for our rear-guard to be driven in, as we could hear the firing and yelling coming rapidly nearer. Nor did we have long to wait, for the Yankees were in force, and soon both parties came in sight through the trees; our rear-guard at a gallop, but stopping now and then to empty their carbines at the enemy. When they reached the ford, all crossed as quickly as they could, and fortunately without loss. The Yankees came down to the river's edge in hot pursuit; then we gave them volley after volley from the island until they fell back, leaving several dead horses and men lying at the ford.

We were all safe and protected from fire, but had not a single day's rations for either ourselves or horses. The Yankees could not come across to our island, but on the other hand we dare not cross to the north shore to escape; and it seemed to me that all they had to do was wait for us to starve out, which would not take long, as the Confederates never had a real square meal, and there was not a command of ours in fifty miles to come to our relief. I looked towards the South shore of the river and it was more than a mile and a half from us, but within half a mile was a large island called MacKernan's, and if we got there we would be safe. Between us and the island the water was shallow in some places, but in many it was deep; some few rocks and tow heads (sand bars, usually with cottonwood trees. –NF) projected above the water, still it seemed unfordable, even to desperate men.

In the meantime all was still; our enemies had disappeared into the woods behind them; noon had come, and we were getting very hungry. Presently someone said, it was a great pity we could not get the saddles, guns and over-coats of the dead Yankees, just 300 feet from us, across the ford. We needed them badly, as we were all ragged and badly clothed. Two men proposed to go over if I would, and I was rash enough to try it. If the enemy should see us, we would surely be captured or killed. Our chance was that they had gone back out of gunshot from the river. Leaving our carbines behind us as useless, and retaining only our pistols, we three rode into the ford and soon reached the other shore. Right at the water's edge was a dead horse, and lying with his head on the saddle was a fine looking boy of twenty years. A bullet had entered his head just above his left ear, and his brains had oozed out on his saddle and overcoat. But it was no time for sentiment. I quickly dismounted from my horse, and cut the saddle with the overcoat strapped behind, loose from the dead animal, threw them in front of my own saddle and jumped back on my horse. Every instant I was expecting to hear the cry of "Halt" and "Surrender" from some of the enemy, and I hurried my horse across the ford and made the trip back in safety as did the other men. After having that coat washed and dyed a fine butternut color, I wore it many a night the next winter, and was never kept awake by any dreams of its former owner who had baptized it with his blood. Looking back at this affair it seems to show what folly youth can be guilty of, to risk my life for a lot of things, whose entire value was not $15.00.

In a short time our friends, the enemy, appeared again and began a desultory fire at us, but doing no harm as we were well protected. Thus the day went by, and escape seemed hopeless. About sundown, our Captain ordered us to mount our horses very quietly, and detailing a rear guard of ten men to hold the ford led the rest of the company in column of twos into the water toward MacKernan's island. We were going to try to ford or swim to it, provided we were not shot in the attempt. The stream in some places was only a foot or two deep, then without warning we would plunge into a hole, which would swim our horses, and the next moment have to climb up steep rocks, into another shallow place. It was very slow work crossing with such a rough bottom, but still we made some progress forward, and gradually after going 300 yards, we got from behind the trees which had sheltered us this far from the view of the Yankees, and then the trouble commenced. ''Bang" went a carbine and a bullet struck the water near us. Soon came another and then half a dozen. We could not fire in return, and we were going forward more slowly than a funeral procession; I crouched down on my horse's back and made myself as small as possible, but thought every moment that I would get a ball through my back. It is one thing to charge shooting and yelling, and full of enthusiasm; but another kind of courage is needed, when you feel you are being potted like a turkey, by a lot of men who are not in any fear of being fired at in return. Another volley came, one bullet struck the man beside me in the calf of his leg, and spattered the water in my face, he yelled loudly but clung to his horse; had he fallen off, he would surely have drowned. I thought my turn would come next, but by this time we had increased our distance, and the darkness became greater, so we suffered no further loss, and soon afterwards reached MacKernan's island, wet, tired, and hungry, but safe. Our rear-guard followed without loss, as by this time it became too dark for them to be seen by the enemy.

We found a pen of corn on the island and on the parched corn and a shoat which we killed, we made a hearty meal; and drying ourselves by the fire, we soon fell into a sound slumber, without even putting out a sentinel, conscious that the Yankees would not follow us across that dangerous passage. Next day at daybreak, we put our saddles and guns on an old flat boat we had found, and making our horses swim crossed the deep water to the southern side of the river

In one week more our gallant Captain was killed in a skirmish, and the writer severely wounded, and the memory of our deep fording of the Tennessee River passed out of mind among the stirring scenes of the battles of Tishomingo Creek and Harrisburg.

Norman Farrell [Roddey's Alabama Cavalry]

I found the above account a few years ago while researching McKernan's Island. Ed Buford was captured there on May 3, 1864, and Normal Farrell was to become his brother-in-law. I don't think they knew each other in 1864; it's just an odd coincidence that a week or so later, Norman had this minor skirmish, but never seems to have gotten around to writing about the times he was wounded, nor about Brice's Crossroads or Harrisburg.

So in my little scenario, it is quite possible for my squad of J.O. Shelby raiders to cook/eat/sleep but be capable of preparing their mounts and ready for action should they have minimal warning, ie, a pistol shot from a forward scout (LP/OP, from my service time.)

Now I guess all the variables could be thrown in like over worked and/or poorly fed horses, weather, terrain (swamps of Louisiana, Mississippi, mountains of TN, AR, etc) all affecting the distances and time to rest...obviously.

Thank you all, I appreciate the responses.

Don't forget that there were "saddlers" and "grooms" in the Cavalry.

Usually with the wagon train, that had a forge wagon (for shoeing horses and repairs for wagons and artillery); grooms looked after the officer's horses which were private purchases and officers had to pay out of pocket for their shoeing, feeding and keeping (stabling) expenses, not to include all of the headaches of paperwork, etc.

Saddlers were the ones that saddled the spare horses of an officer and or staff. They were the ones who, for example saddled up General John Doe's horses and watch the General--if his first mount got shot, wounded and or killed --got lame, the saddler would mount the General's second horse and gallop out to the General dismount and carry the saddle and equipment off the dead horse back to headquarters; and or lead the wounded and or lame horse back to be treated, and the saddler would then be getting the fourth horse ready, as the other saddler with horse number three be watching that General to race out to give him a fresh horse if need be. If there weren't anymore horses owned by the General personally, the saddler would get mounts from the Quarter-Master and many times a staff officer gave up their horse and or an orderly.

Those Troopers who had horses out of commission usually mounted the 'remounts' out of the pool. But, if they didn't have anymore, that Trooper would ride a wounded Trooper's horse. These Troopers often relayed so, they too could have acted as saddlers.

M. E. Wolf

An Incident of the Civil War.

When the noble Tennessee River reaches Lookout Mt. it bends almost at a right angle toward the West, just south of the boundary of the State of Tennessee, and after a westwardly course of a hundred miles or more, its width becomes much greater and its surface is broken by many islands, some of them cleared and cultivated, as the soil is very rich; the width of the river is caused by the water flowing over a great ledge of limestone for many miles, and the depth of the current is so much less that steamboats cannot pass this obstruction, known as Muscle Shoals.

Many years before the Civil War, the National Government had dug a canal, for the use of keelboats, along the Northern shore; steamboats at that time had not come into use, but at the time of the war, the canal was not used, and its bed was dry.

One Saturday early in the month of May, 1864, a company of Confederate cavalry, about 60 strong, crossed the river at the mouth of Shoal Creek, for the purpose of finding out what the Federal Cavalry at Athens Alabama was doing. After crossing, they took the main road East, and having ridden 15 or 20 miles, camped for the night, half a mile north of the river, and south of the road; and having put out a strong picket, and eaten a frugal meal, went to rest. As soon as day broke the camp was astir, and the men at once fed their horses, and made their ablutions, and having had breakfast of cold cornbread and broiled bacon, washed down with a drink of water, each man at once saddled his horse.

It was plain to see that these men were not holiday soldiers, loaded down with tents, camp stoves and baggage; each man carried his rations in a small leather saddle-bag and had usually a change of underclothes. They were nearly all about 18 or 20 years of age, and almost all had served 3 years.

By this time the sun was just above the horizon, and the men were standing around the fire, smoking their pipes, when a single report of a gun was heard in the still air of the morning, quickly followed by a dozen more. "Yankees" was the cry, and each soldier at once mounted his horse; there was no panic, for these men were veterans of many a fight. The Captain instantly formed the command in column of twos; told off a dozen men to assist the pickets, when they were driven in; and led the column at a sharp trot in the direction of the river. At this time it occurred to the writer, then a lad of 19, that Company "K" was in a very bad position, with the river on the south, impassable, and a regiment of Yankees on the north.

After a rapid ride of a mile in a direction diagonal to the course of the river, we rode across the dry bed of the old canal, and came down to the water edge; just opposite to us, and about one hundred yards distant, was a small island probably eight hundred feet long, and rising from six to ten feet above the surface of the river. We at once rode across to it, through a narrow ford, the depth not being over four feet; we were then ordered to take our horses to the further side of the island, and to hitch them under the bank, so that they would be protected from the fire of the enemy; having done this, we took shelter behind trees or earthen banks, and waited for our rear-guard to be driven in, as we could hear the firing and yelling coming rapidly nearer. Nor did we have long to wait, for the Yankees were in force, and soon both parties came in sight through the trees; our rear-guard at a gallop, but stopping now and then to empty their carbines at the enemy. When they reached the ford, all crossed as quickly as they could, and fortunately without loss. The Yankees came down to the river's edge in hot pursuit; then we gave them volley after volley from the island until they fell back, leaving several dead horses and men lying at the ford.

We were all safe and protected from fire, but had not a single day's rations for either ourselves or horses. The Yankees could not come across to our island, but on the other hand we dare not cross to the north shore to escape; and it seemed to me that all they had to do was wait for us to starve out, which would not take long, as the Confederates never had a real square meal, and there was not a command of ours in fifty miles to come to our relief. I looked towards the South shore of the river and it was more than a mile and a half from us, but within half a mile was a large island called MacKernan's, and if we got there we would be safe. Between us and the island the water was shallow in some places, but in many it was deep; some few rocks and tow heads (sand bars, usually with cottonwood trees. –NF) projected above the water, still it seemed unfordable, even to desperate men.

In the meantime all was still; our enemies had disappeared into the woods behind them; noon had come, and we were getting very hungry. Presently someone said, it was a great pity we could not get the saddles, guns and over-coats of the dead Yankees, just 300 feet from us, across the ford. We needed them badly, as we were all ragged and badly clothed. Two men proposed to go over if I would, and I was rash enough to try it. If the enemy should see us, we would surely be captured or killed. Our chance was that they had gone back out of gunshot from the river. Leaving our carbines behind us as useless, and retaining only our pistols, we three rode into the ford and soon reached the other shore. Right at the water's edge was a dead horse, and lying with his head on the saddle was a fine looking boy of twenty years. A bullet had entered his head just above his left ear, and his brains had oozed out on his saddle and overcoat. But it was no time for sentiment. I quickly dismounted from my horse, and cut the saddle with the overcoat strapped behind, loose from the dead animal, threw them in front of my own saddle and jumped back on my horse. Every instant I was expecting to hear the cry of "Halt" and "Surrender" from some of the enemy, and I hurried my horse across the ford and made the trip back in safety as did the other men. After having that coat washed and dyed a fine butternut color, I wore it many a night the next winter, and was never kept awake by any dreams of its former owner who had baptized it with his blood. Looking back at this affair it seems to show what folly youth can be guilty of, to risk my life for a lot of things, whose entire value was not $15.00.

In a short time our friends, the enemy, appeared again and began a desultory fire at us, but doing no harm as we were well protected. Thus the day went by, and escape seemed hopeless. About sundown, our Captain ordered us to mount our horses very quietly, and detailing a rear guard of ten men to hold the ford led the rest of the company in column of twos into the water toward MacKernan's island. We were going to try to ford or swim to it, provided we were not shot in the attempt. The stream in some places was only a foot or two deep, then without warning we would plunge into a hole, which would swim our horses, and the next moment have to climb up steep rocks, into another shallow place. It was very slow work crossing with such a rough bottom, but still we made some progress forward, and gradually after going 300 yards, we got from behind the trees which had sheltered us this far from the view of the Yankees, and then the trouble commenced. ''Bang" went a carbine and a bullet struck the water near us. Soon came another and then half a dozen. We could not fire in return, and we were going forward more slowly than a funeral procession; I crouched down on my horse's back and made myself as small as possible, but thought every moment that I would get a ball through my back. It is one thing to charge shooting and yelling, and full of enthusiasm; but another kind of courage is needed, when you feel you are being potted like a turkey, by a lot of men who are not in any fear of being fired at in return. Another volley came, one bullet struck the man beside me in the calf of his leg, and spattered the water in my face, he yelled loudly but clung to his horse; had he fallen off, he would surely have drowned. I thought my turn would come next, but by this time we had increased our distance, and the darkness became greater, so we suffered no further loss, and soon afterwards reached MacKernan's island, wet, tired, and hungry, but safe. Our rear-guard followed without loss, as by this time it became too dark for them to be seen by the enemy.

We found a pen of corn on the island and on the parched corn and a shoat which we killed, we made a hearty meal; and drying ourselves by the fire, we soon fell into a sound slumber, without even putting out a sentinel, conscious that the Yankees would not follow us across that dangerous passage. Next day at daybreak, we put our saddles and guns on an old flat boat we had found, and making our horses swim crossed the deep water to the southern side of the river

In one week more our gallant Captain was killed in a skirmish, and the writer severely wounded, and the memory of our deep fording of the Tennessee River passed out of mind among the stirring scenes of the battles of Tishomingo Creek and Harrisburg.

Norman Farrell [Roddey's Alabama Cavalry]

NOTE: Sharp Trot = extended trot (meaning legs of horses thrown out for the greatest coverage of ground without going into a canter or gallop).

M. E. Wolf

Document 2nd PA Cav. - Bealton, Va

Owned by M. E. Weyraugh and posted with permission for study and information.

M. E. Wolf

Attachments

• 2nd PA Cav. Jan 1865-Bealton, VA -front 001.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 219
2nd PA Cavalry - Near Bealton, VA - paperwork on lost equipment.

Document owned by M. E. Weyraugh and posted with permission for education and study.

M. E. Wolf

Attachments

• 2nd PA Cav - Near Bealton, VA -back-1865 001.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 204
Aide-de-Camp to Lee (Papers of Colonel Charles Marshall, Aide-de-Camp/Military Secretary to General R. E. Lee)

AdCtoLee-274 001.jpg

Please take note of the photograph -- "Lee and Marshall riding away after the surrender" --in the foreground on the far left of the photo, in front of the tree--you'll see a fellow holding a horse and instead of a kepi, he looks like he is wearing and behind him is another holding a horse. These gentlemen could be saddlers or orderlies but from what it appears the horse with the hindquarters facing the reader is General Grant's horse--so that would be a "saddler."

I own the book -

M. E. Wolf

Aide-de-Camp to Lee (Papers of Colonel Charles Marshall, Aide-de-Camp/Military Secretary to General R. E. Lee)

View attachment 25310
Please take note of the photograph -- "Lee and Marshall riding away after the surrender" --in the foreground on the far left of the photo, in front of the tree--you'll see a fellow holding a horse and instead of a kepi, he looks like he is wearing and behind him is another holding a horse. These gentlemen could be saddlers or orderlies but from what it appears the horse with the hindquarters facing the reader is General Grant's horse--so that would be a "saddler."

I own the book -

M. E. Wolf
Hey wolf how old is that book? looks interesting.

Hey wolf how old is that book? looks interesting.
AdCtoLee-Title page and picture C.Marshall 001.jpg

Maurice was asked by Colonel Marshall's son, Colonel Charles A. Marshall (Aide-de-Camp to General Fred Grant) to take the papers of his father and finish his father's memoirs. Colonel Marshall died before completion.

Colonel Marshall and son lived near my paternal Grandfather's home in Baltimore, MD.

M. E. Wolf

View attachment 25311

Maurice was asked by Colonel Marshall's son, Colonel Charles A. Marshall (Aide-de-Camp to General Fred Grant) to take the papers of his father and finish his father's memoirs. Colonel Marshall died before completion.

Colonel Marshall and son lived near my paternal Grandfather's home in Baltimore, MD.

M. E. Wolf
I thought so , the pages had that look to it!!!! that must be very interesting reading, good posts! thanks for the reply

Saddlers were the ones that saddled the spare horses of an officer and or staff. They were the ones who, for example saddled up General John Doe's horses and watch the General--if his first mount got shot, wounded and or killed --got lame, the saddler would mount the General's second horse and gallop out to the General dismount and carry the saddle and equipment off the dead horse back to headquarters; and or lead the wounded and or lame horse back to be treated, and the saddler would then be getting the fourth horse ready, as the other saddler with horse number three be watching that General to race out to give him a fresh horse if need be. If there weren't anymore horses owned by the General personally, the saddler would get mounts from the Quarter-Master and many times a staff officer gave up their horse and or an orderly.

M. E. Wolf

Wow. Can you imagine serving with Forrest? You'd be busier than a one-armed paperhanger in the wind. :smile:

I thought so , the pages had that look to it!!!! that must be very interesting reading, good posts! thanks for the reply
Very interesting book indeed, as Marshall did a lot of legal work and prepared Lee's proposals to CSA Congress to which didn't exactly go as planned. Marshall put it plainly as to the interstate jealousies and making difficulties from it.

M. E. Wolf

Back