Casualties.

For some reason I had always thought the term, casualty, meant a soldier who was no longer available as fit for duty either from being killed, wounded or missing. I have often wondered if, in Civil War parlance, a person who was slightly wounded but still capable of fighting would have been listed as a "casualty".
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sbc
For some reason I had always thought the term, casualty, meant a soldier who was no longer available as fit for duty either from being killed, wounded or missing. I have often wondered if, in Civil War parlance, a person who was slightly wounded but still capable of fighting would have been listed as a "casualty".
Good question. If you broke a bone, you might still be able to come back to duty at some time. If you had a concussion, ditto. You would only be out temporarily. You were a casualty of that battle, but not the war.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sbc

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top