Captain John B. Smith (Schmitt) ancestry

Hello, I am looking for any information about my 3rd Great-Grandfather, John B. Smith. He was a born February 27, 1842, in Chillicothe, Ohio and died January 26, 1926 in Chillicothe, Ohio. He entered the Civil War in 1862 till 1865 when the war ended. He may have obtained land in Mississippi for his assistance to the government, where he was a banker (This information was from his father's (Peter Schmitt) obituary). He rose through these ranks; Private to Sergeant to 1st Sergeant to Sergeant Major to 1st Lieutenant and Adjutant for the 73rd Regiment, Company B of Ohio. He wrote four small articles for The Ohio Soldier, detailing details of his life such as he was shot and lived, met the governor, and other interesting facts. I still have his sword and a drawing of him when he was 20 years old (sorry it's sideways). That is a brief overview of him, if you have questions for more details on him just ask. Thanks!

- Jacob

Captain John D. Schmitt.JPG

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Tom Elmore

Sergeant Major
Member of the Year
Jacob, I have a list of the titles John B. Smith wrote for The Ohio Soldier and National Picket Guard, but have not been able to locate the articles themselves. It sounds like you have those articles, which may be interesting to our members if you have time to post them. I am personally curious to learn if he was present at Gettysburg, or wrote anything about that battle.

Private George Nixon was in Company B, 73rd Ohio and mortally wounded at Gettysburg - he was the great grandfather of President Richard Nixon. I have brief biographies of Thomas W. Higgins and Joshua Davis; both served as captains of Company B. There is also the diary of William Cline, who was in the company. Lewis Montgomery, a member of Company B, wrote a few lines in The National Tribune of February 28, 1889, p. 3 about his wounding at Gettysburg on July 2, and being carried off the field the next day by four Confederates. Unfortunately, no mention of John B. Smith in these latter accounts.

I have pictures of the articles except the last one which talks about his return home and something about Stonewall Jackson because the paper was torn at the library, I will take better pictures for your guy, thank you for the responses. (About the name Smith, Smith is the Anglicization of the name Schmitt, his father was a German aristocrat from Berlin, and in sources he is always referred as John B. Smith not just John Smith).

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)