Caps with crossed rifles...

Mark F. Jenkins

Colonel
Member of the Year
Is it just that I've known for so long that the "Civil War caps" sold with crossed rifles are inaccurate that it's way past blatantly obvious to me? Why the heck would anyone sell kepis or forage caps with anything other than the infantry "bugle," or, probably even better, plain? Why the prevalence of crossed rifles? :confused:

Indian wars they were being issued. and when I looked it up just now, according to Wiki(take it for whats it's worth) the last kepi model issued was in 1896.
But I am with you on this. I just saw a program called "Mysteries at the Museum" and they wer doing a civil war type skit. And guess what the yankee was wearing yup you guessed a kepi with crossed rifles, and he was carrying a Henry, no belt,no cartridge box, no canteen-- just wrong in so many ways.

To clarify, I was referring to these gems.
15gc13bu.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 9.06.27 PM.jpg

In today's Army, the crossed rifles signify Infantry and I guess that the people that make the kepis were too lazy to research what was worn during the Civil War. The first time that I can remember these kepis was during the Civil War's Centennial and yes, I may have had one.

I The first time that I can remember these kepis was during the Civil War's Centennial and yes, I may have had one.
As a kid, I had many. I think they only lasted a week or two before they would wear out.
Other than a pecan log, that was a must have every time we passed a Stuckey's. :bounce:

Last edited:
I have seen pink Civil War kepis with crossed rifles. I thought it might be good sport to wear a pink kepi with crossed rifles to a reenactment. But the only Civil War uniform I have belongs to the State of Michigan and I an not allowed to wear it except at the State of Michigan Michiagn Historical Museum. I think the visitors to the State of Michigan Historical Museum would like the pink kepi, but I am not sure how the Museum costume committee would react to me wearing a pink kepi with crossed rifles

I have seen pink Civil War kepis with crossed rifles. I thought it might be good sport to wear a pink kepi with crossed rifles to a reenactment. But the only Civil War uniform I have belongs to the State of Michigan and I an not allowed to wear it except at the State of Michigan Michiagn Historical Museum. I think the visitors to the State of Michigan Historical Museum would like the pink kepi, but I am not sure how the Museum costume committee would react to me wearing a pink kepi with crossed rifles
Maybe you can get Michigan and Michigan State footballers to wear pink on their unis. :wub:

I kid! I kid! :bounce:

I have pics of 2 union soldiers in my mother's branch of my family ( I am from Petersburg, VA!!!) and one is wearing a cap with crossed rifles. The photo here is a copy of the copy that was made of the old original that was passed down to my grandmother who married a man from Michigan. I don't know if this was originally Willie's cap, but I do know that he was in Michigan's 1st, Hall's Sharpshooters and then was moved to another company H that was called for by Lincoln to form an official army Sharpshooters group that fought at the last Battle in Petersburg, VA. This is an old photograph of the time, and was then tinted by brush as they used to do to add bits of color, which are not seen here. But the original shows it much better. I also learned the sharpshooters wore green. My cousin, who owns the original, says it is definitely a photograph of old. Thought you might like to see it. I'm not sure if the person who tinted the photo added the crossed rifles or was just attempting to highlight them as they didn't seem to show up well. Plus they are in a different place on the cap. Does anyone have any helpful comments? Thanks!

Wililie.jpg

I have two photos of an ancestor who served in Hall's Independent Sharpshooters. I have also seen other images of Hall's Independent Sharpshooters. I do not believe they ever wore green uniforms. I am not sure the crossed rifles here are original. They hang over the edge of the top of the kepi. Some one would have to come up with images of crossed rifles used during the Civil War.

Crossed rifles have been synonymous with the infantry since the Indian Wars period, and AFAIK are still in use today. It's one of the military symbols everybody "knows," and it matches the crossed sabres and cannon that actually were used during the CW.

Back