Book Suggestions?

I'll repeat here my favorite mantra: Life's too short to read novels... though I've made exceptions for both Shaaras and Shelby Foote.

This is my exact outlook as well - right down to the same three authors.

But IF I was to start branching out, I'd naturally have to start with these:

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown-2.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-3.jpeg

images.jpeg

Last edited:
Have you taken a look at the Civil War novels by Newt Gingrich and William R. Forstchen?

51e+QDHNVZL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Gail Jarrow's "Lincoln's Flying Spies" Lincoln's Flying Spies.jpg 107 pages with lots of pictures. THE BEST BOOK for ALL AGES on Balloons in the Civil War. Covers both the Union and Confederate use of aerial observation.

Charles Evans "The War of the Aeronauts" War of the Aeronauts.jpg similar to Haydon's book (below) but easier to read.

Stephen Poleskie's "The Balloonist" The Balloonist.jpg

or if you really want to get technical . . . the CW Ballooning Bible is "Military Ballooning During the Early Civil War"
by F. Stansbury Haydon Haydon.jpg

Respectfully submitted . . . . .

Gail Jarrow's "Lincoln's Flying Spies" View attachment 127084 107 pages with lots of pictures. THE BEST BOOK for ALL AGES on Balloons in the Civil War. Covers both the Union and Confederate use of aerial observation.

Charles Evans "The War of the Aeronauts" View attachment 127085 similar to Haydon's book (below) but easier to read.

Stephen Poleskie's "The Balloonist" View attachment 127086

or if you really want to get technical . . . the CW Ballooning Bible is "Military Ballooning During the Early Civil War"
by F. Stansbury Haydon View attachment 127087

Respectfully submitted . . . . .

I sense a theme running through these.

Back