Big Black-Snake

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
"Women -- I tell you, sir, women would make a grand brigade -- if it was not for snakes and spiders!" He then added much more thoughtfully: "They don't mind bullets -- women are not afraid of bullets; but one big black-snake would put a whole army to flight." General Jubal Early, C.S.A.

20767942._SX540_.jpg

Never was afraid of snakes as long as I saw them first. When I came across one unexpected, that generally caused- and still causes- at least a momentary concern.
I wonder if Mr. Early was just a bit too critical. My sense is women 'in olden times' were pretty tough when it came to nature.
I recall my Grandmother encountering snakes without concern while working in the garden. There was an elderly woman who once lived on a property my Grandparents inherited and the story was told that when she left home to get water at a nearby spring in the woods she always took a garden hoe to fend off the varmints. I drank from that spring myself many a time, though years later and never saw a snake- though I did encounter them in her barn.

That's hysterical, thank you! They don't mind bullets, snakes are another thing. Probably true for a lot.

Unless poisonous, not one of their enemies. We have one who suns himself on top of the hedges, by our front porch. Always seems a shame to disturb the little guy, who likes waking in a big hurry from a nap? Guessing it's what you grew up around, maybe. Always knew if we had a good population of black snakes, the copperheads weren't likely to be around for one thing. Black snakes hate the bejammers out of copperheads. It's a little nice.......

I am not afraid of much but snakes top the list--any kind. Here, in Virginia, we have some very poisonous snakes--copperheads, water moccasins, etc. I grew up in northeastern Ohio and there we had garter snakes, black snakes, but none were poisonous where we lived. I was still afraid of them. Spiders-not afraid of them. My daughter is not afraid of snakes and used to move them (all kinds) away from a resident building where she worked, but is scared to death of spiders.

Interesting how snakes are seen as deceptive in the cartoon posted. They have a bad reputation for a reason, going right back to Eve.

Or, at least, this is the symbolic representation of such things as deception and evil. Snakes are the physical embodiment.

In real life, not that I have come across many, they would bother me no more than any other creature, but the possibility they are poisonous- same goes for spiders - would suggest a level of caution.

Also, anything that moves 'fast' and with little noise has the potential to creep me out :eek:

I like snakes . In Michigan the only venomous snake we have is the threatened Massasauga rattler . I have tromped through some of the more obscure parts of Civil War battlefields looking for snakes and have never even seen a ratsnake . I had heard that there may be timber rattlers in Gettysburg and I've cautiously examined some rocky areas off the beaten path , but have only seen a few garter snakes . I did find a box turtle near LRT several years ago . I also like watching the other wildlife including foxes and deer ( saw a massive buck once at Gettysburg ) and I especially enjoy listening to the mocking birds .

That's hysterical, thank you! They don't mind bullets, snakes are another thing. Probably true for a lot.

Unless poisonous, not one of their enemies. We have one who suns himself on top of the hedges, by our front porch. Always seems a shame to disturb the little guy, who likes waking in a big hurry from a nap? Guessing it's what you grew up around, maybe. Always knew if we had a good population of black snakes, the copperheads weren't likely to be around for one thing. Black snakes hate the bejammers out of copperheads. It's a little nice.......
Thanks for your response.
We were very receptive to Black Snakes, especially in barns and corn cribs. They were good neighbors.

I am not afraid of much but snakes top the list--any kind. Here, in Virginia, we have some very poisonous snakes--copperheads, water moccasins, etc. I grew up in northeastern Ohio and there we had garter snakes, black snakes, but none were poisonous where we lived. I was still afraid of them. Spiders-not afraid of them. My daughter is not afraid of snakes and used to move them (all kinds) away from a resident building where she worked, but is scared to death of spiders.
Yes, I've seen some very large Cotton Mouths in Virginia. It's good to have a healthy fear of them....

I am reminded of a story a family friend once told about his WW2 Basic Training in Texas. According to him, they were required to crawl under a low, overhead barbwire strung out across an open area while live machine gun rounds were fired over them. One unfortunate soldier encountered a rattlesnake and instinctively jumped up, only to be killed by machine gun fire.

I am reminded of a story a family friend once told about his WW2 Basic Training in Texas. According to him, they were required to crawl under a low, overhead barbwire strung out across an open area while live machine gun rounds were fired over them. One unfortunate soldier encountered a rattlesnake and instinctively jumped up, only to be killed by machine gun fire.
That's terrible :frown: Poor guy.

Snakes are usually good people although I watch out for Auntie! Rattler. Found some king snakes hereabouts and that's good - Auntie won't be around here because king snakes love to have rattlers for lunch. Spiders creep me out but black widows and recluses scare all wits out of me.

However, it isn't women alone get scared of slithery and creeper things. Robert E Lee, while scouting around in Mexico, was surprised by a group of Mexican soldiers suddenly appearing - which meant he had to suddenly disappear. The only place to hand was under a rotten log - and he discovered he had a LOT of company, all of it creepy and slimy. The Mexicans sat on the log and had their rest, so he was under there a while quietly fighting his own little war with the bugs and slugs and grubs. Soon as the soldiers were gone he shot out from under there like a bullet and did the shake-'em-out dance with gusto!

Snakes fascinated me, hunted them for years. Collected books on them, studied and memorized all American snakes. A whole lot of tall tales out there on them, for sure. Now think about source requests here in this forum, know what I mean! Man told me in Florida the red-headed skinks were poisonous. I said, only when you eat them raw.
Lubliner.

We have a place out in the country, and have seen many snakes over the years, including one that got into the house and was stuck on one of those glue things used to catch mice. My sister and I got it outside and managed to free him. He wasn't a poisonous snake BTW.
Now, if I encounter a flying cockroach like we have around here, I'm reduced to a blubbering mess lol.

I found a garter snake nest when I was about 7 or 8. Scooped them up (a couple of dozen at least) into a paper shopping bag & brought them home. Scared the bejeebers out of the neighbor lady; but my mom just smiled and said, "My, aren't they cute! But, they really should go back home where their mother can find them, don't you think?" I didn't know if mother snakes cared for their offspring or not, but it sounded right to me. Back they went, I even replaced the old piece of tarpaper they had been born under, and I hope they lived happily ever after.

Back