SIM Game Best Civil War Computer Game?

archieclement

Colonel
MY favorite was probally the old CW generals 2 game.

All the strategic ones I've tried seem to fall short...…..either lacking key elements or become too bogged down in detail. Havent seen anything in CW games that approaches say Hearts of Iron for WW2

I'd still vote for the old SSG Decisive Battles of the Civil War series. Mac version, brigade level, good AI "for the day," fast play, play a historical scenario the same way as the actual generals did, you get pretty dang close to historical results. Only available as abandonware these days, unfortunately. I know the computer AI and graphics have improved considerably since then, but they still get my vote as the most enjoyable to play...

Ultimate General:Civil War is pretty nice, too, and probably the best of the newer games. My main critique is the silly names issue that (for me) easily breaks immersion.
I have been messing around with Ultimate General: Gettysburg, I am pretty impressed. It has a lot of similarities like Sid Meier’s Gettysburg and Antietam. I loved those games.

I think the one I enjoyed most was American Conquest: Divided Nation. Which is now not playable on modern computers in my experience. Stupid technology advancements, I liked that strategy game.

I played the original American Conquest though not the civil war expansion. I loved it, just like Cossacks on which it was based. Cossacks 3, which is mostly a remake of the first one, is currently playable and available on Steam.

I played the original American Conquest though not the civil war expansion. I loved it, just like Cossacks on which it was based. Cossacks 3, which is mostly a remake of the first one, is currently playable and available on Steam.

I'm ninety percent sure I've asked this somewhere, but what is "Steam"?

Divided Nation was awesome, not as good as Cossacks Napoleonic Wars or Battle for Europe, but pretty good (I love how in Cossacks the troops actually use roads, why it isn't elsewhere is beyond me, plus the half-way good effort to get some uniforms right). Thanks to a computer death and my attempts to retrieve the disc from it, yeah my copy of the complete Cossacks anthology is dead. I need to fix that.

what is "Steam"?
Steam is a service platform where you can buy a huge variety of video games and get automatic game updates and patches. You can also chat with friends and other gamers while you're playing. It's free to register and download, only buying the games will cost you. Game creators can use Steam to distribute their games. Steam also offers a workshop for players to share creations made within a game, e.g. Planet Coaster - some people create coasters or coaster skins and share them with other players who can then put them down in their own game.

Here's the link to the Wikipedia article with more detailed information on its history and functions.

I'm ninety percent sure I've asked this somewhere, but what is "Steam"?

Divided Nation was awesome, not as good as Cossacks Napoleonic Wars or Battle for Europe, but pretty good (I love how in Cossacks the troops actually use roads, why it isn't elsewhere is beyond me, plus the half-way good effort to get some uniforms right). Thanks to a computer death and my attempts to retrieve the disc from it, yeah my copy of the complete Cossacks anthology is dead. I need to fix that.
@luinrina has given an excellent description of ‘Steam’, I’d just add that it’s worth having because just about every game these days needs a steam key to unlock the content. Steam is also worth having because there are a great many games from the 90s that have been redesigned to work on modern computer systems. It’s also worth mentioning that once you have downloaded a game you can visit the game workshop to add mods for your favourite game. The Total War series pretty much covers most historic war periods and with the massive amount of mods available it’s a game definitely worth having.

Blue and gray mod for Empire Total War.
E78469E8-9273-446C-8940-4869CC85FA9F.jpeg

Back