Bent Rail and Tree 2018

DaveBrt

1st Lieutenant
Orr Park, Montevallo, AL

The rail appears to be, and is claimed to be, very old. CW? Don't know. If original, it would be 60# T-rail from the Alabama & Tennessee River RR. Yes, that is me in the photo.
Orr Park, Montevallo, MS 2-10-2018.jpg

Last edited:
I would say it was real, but I don't understand why it was never scrapped a long time ago. it is still interesting. I have seen pieces of rail from the US Military Railroad. Thanks for posting this @DaveBrt.

Orr Park, Montevallo, AL

The rail appears to be, and is claimed to be, very old. CW? Don't know. If original, it would be 60# T-rail from the Alabama & Tennessee River RR. Yes, that is me in the photo.View attachment 176736
Dave BRT will know for sure, but it's condition makes it look too modern, at least to me, bearing in mind the rail used in the 1860s was iron an not steel.

Orr Park, Montevallo, AL

The rail appears to be, and is claimed to be, very old. CW? Don't know. If original, it would be 60# T-rail from the Alabama & Tennessee River RR. Yes, that is me in the photo.View attachment 176736
I will have to check this out as I live near Montevallo and have never seen this. As to why it is there, Montevallo was in the heart of the Confederate coal, iron and limestone mining area and iron processing area in Alabama. It is not far from the mines and furnaces of Brierfield, Oxmoore and Tannehill and just up the road from the Shelby Iron Works where the iron was processed and rolled into among other things the armor plate for the CSS Tennessee. Next time that you are in the area, give me a shout out and we can refight the war. As for the rail, while it may be real, I suspect that it was placed there as the tree doesn't appear to be that old.

Last edited:
Reactions: WJC
I have seen this rail many times as I like @redbob live very close to Montevallo. It is a real piece of rail and a real tree but it is not CW. It was done back in the 90's when all the tree carvings and other items were done in Orr Park.

http://www.exploresouthernhistory.com/orrpark.html

Back