Bearded Beauregard?

Mr. King

Sergeant Major
I ran across this last night.
cdv%20Beauregard%20post%20war%20in%20uniform.jpg

I found it here:
http://www.washingtonartillery.com/WA Roster.htm

Is this PGT Beauregard? I have never seen the man with a beard.

The signature is totally wrong, but perhaps it's not meant to be a signature, and more like a label...?

I read that Beauregard didn't show any gray hair until the blockade stopped his hair dye from being available. Bearded "Beauregard" shows what appears to be gray hair, and yet he wears what appears to be one star on his collar, and I don't recall him ever being ranked less than a Brigadier General in the CS Army.

No. Look at the eyes; PGT's eyes are more deep-set, not as heavily lidded and the other guy appears to have a "lazy" eye. Also the nose; Gus has a thinner, more aquiline nose while the other guy seems to have enjoyed a bit of gin.

The signature is totally wrong, but perhaps it's not meant to be a signature, and more like a label...?

I read that Beauregard didn't show any gray hair until the blockade stopped his hair dye from being available. Bearded "Beauregard" shows what appears to be gray hair, and yet he wears what appears to be one star on his collar, and I don't recall him ever being ranked less than a Brigadier General in the CS Army.
The uniform is the best giveaway that it isn't Beauregard. In 1861 Beauregard resigned from the U. S. Army and was immediately commissioned Brigadier General commanding all Louisiana Militia. From that, he quickly became a Brigadier General in Confederate service. In both capacities he wore a dark blue uniform frock coat in the style of the United States Army at least through the battle of Bull Run. This man is obviously a Confederate major wearing a more-or-less regulation uniform for field officers of the rank of major through colonel, something Beauregard never was.

Agreed, the rank and uniform are different in the original pic posted and this known photo.
View attachment 180649
Keep in mind that both photos posted so far of General Beauregard were taken by Matthew Brady in New York City ca. 1867 and that he is actually wearing Mansfield Lovell's uniform coat!

...This man is obviously a Confederate major wearing a more-or-less regulation uniform for field officers of the rank of major through colonel, something Beauregard never was.

Though you´ll find a few with him in field officers uniform, at least in blue.

beau1y.jpg

For exapample this one, apparently pre-war in the Engineers though I´m not sure about him ever being promoted or brevetted Colonel (probably somewhere along the cancelled West Point appointment?).

... For exapample this one, apparently pre-war in the Engineers though I´m not sure about him ever being promoted or brevetted Colonel (probably somewhere along the cancelled West Point appointment?).

Yes - I think the rank of colonel came concurrently with his appointment as Superintendent, a position I believe he held for about a week before resigning to "go South."

20180319_171520.jpg
I ran across this last night.
cdv%20Beauregard%20post%20war%20in%20uniform.jpg

I found it here:
http://www.washingtonartillery.com/WA Roster.htm

Is this PGT Beauregard? I have never seen the man with a beard.

Although I don't have any photos to post I think the original photo is CS General Joseph Finegan. I'll try to locate a pic of him.

Located his pic, hard to tell but it's a better match than Beauregard.
20180319_171520.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like it is Finegan. The hair styles are similar as are the facial features, much closer to Finegan than Beauregard.
And in Finegan's usual photo his mouth is hidden by his moustache, making it that much harder to compare the two photos.

Back