Battle at Philidelphia

H

Heron Hermit

My Great great uncle was killed at Philadelphia Tn on Oct 20th 1863. We went there last month and could not find anyone that may know where he may be buried.. Is there anyone that may know? His name was Wilson Steel from the 45th Ohio. Thanks Scott Hanson [email protected]

I don't have an answer about the location of his grave, but please note that some records spell his last name Steele, with an E on the end. That might help in searching.

Company I, 45th Ohio Infantry

Find-a-grave says he's buried at the Chattanooga National Cemetery. Lots of solders were disinterred from their original burial locations, scattered hither and yon, and collected into the big national cemeteries after the war.

Steele is not listed in the National Cemeteries database, however; it may require a visit to Chattanooga in person to verify.

The Chattanooga National Cemetery was established in late 1863 by order of Major General George H. Thomas. There's a story, perhaps apocryphal, that when the officer in charge asked Thomas if the burials should be grouped by state, Thomas replied, "No, mix 'em up, mix 'em up! I'm tired of states' rights!"

Last edited:
My Great great uncle was killed at Philadelphia Tn on Oct 20th 1863. We went there last month and could not find anyone that may know where he may be buried.. Is there anyone that may know? His name was Wilson Steel from the 45th Ohio. Thanks Scott Hanson [email protected]

Dear Scott - My 3x Great Grandfather was also in the 45th Ohio - Company I, with your 2x Great Uncle. His name was Ellis McFarland. I have a collection of his letters that he wrote to his wife, my 3x Great Grandmother while he was in the war. In a few of these letters, Ellis actually mentions your Uncle Wilson. In fact, I think they may have been friends. In this collection, there is also a letter from William Norman that references your uncle dying at the Battle at Philadelphia, TN on October 20, 1863. Wondering if you or anyone reading this has any additional information on the Battle of Philadelphia, TN or the 45th OVI besides what is on their website. Anxious to hear from someone.

Dear Scott - My 3x Great Grandfather was also in the 45th Ohio - Company I, with your 2x Great Uncle. His name was Ellis McFarland. I have a collection of his letters that he wrote to his wife, my 3x Great Grandmother while he was in the war. In a few of these letters, Ellis actually mentions your Uncle Wilson. In fact, I think they may have been friends. In this collection, there is also a letter from William Norman that references your uncle dying at the Battle at Philadelphia, TN on October 20, 1863. Wondering if you or anyone reading this has any additional information on the Battle of Philadelphia, TN or the 45th OVI besides what is on their website. Anxious to hear from someone.
That is amazing, sure is a small world sometimes. Welcome to the forum @ellisandelizamack from South Florida

Back