Baltimore Street T&N

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
balt st 2.jpg

balt google.jpg

To follow up on my post from yesterday that included the Wagon Hotel and the Jennie Wade house. Here is a photograph from 1865 taken at the bend in the Baltimore Pike looking north. On the left is the Wagon Hotel and the Wade house is obscured just behind the 2-story white house on the right. @Wallyfish, notice the brick sidewalk that you pointed out shows up clearly. The building on the left with the tall smoke stack was a tannery occupied by Confederate sharpshooters on Days 2 & 3 peppering at Union troops on Cemetery Hill. I am including a similar now view using google street view.

Last edited by a moderator:
To follow up on my post from yesterday that included the Wagon Hotel and the Jennie Wade house. Here is a photograph from 1865 taken at the bend in the Baltimore Pike looking north. On the left is the Wagon Hotel and the Wade house is obscured just behind the 2-story white house on the right. @Wallyfish, notice the brick sidewalk that you pointed out shows up clearly. The building on the left with the tall smoke stack was a tannery occupied by Confederate sharpshooters on Days 2 & 3 peppering at Union troops on Cemetery Hill. I am including a similar now view using google street view.
View attachment 140901

View attachment 140902
Thanks for posting.
Your "Now" view looks so much different than when I first visited Gettysburg as a child.... Progress?
"Don't it always seem to go That you don't know what you've got Till it's gone...." --- Roberta Joan Anderson (aka Joni Mitchell), Canadian singer- songwriter (November 7, 1943- ), Big Yellow Taxi, 1970.

Last edited:
Should be the Welty house between the trees on the upper right.
Same view below just farther North on Baltimore.
Welty, McCreary and Winnebrenner in row on the right.
If u look close u can see more boards laid across the road down at the intersection of Baltimore and Lefever St. Just like what was done in the foreground in Greg's pic. Mud was a problem for pedestrians and hand carts.
Shower05200925_s.jpg

Last edited:
Simple_surprised_black_outline_ghost_tattoo_design.jpg

Sorry neighbor just emptied the manure from his hog house and I am currently surrounded by freshly sprayed fields. The fumes are making me light headed.

Back