Baltimore Riot

Stars_and_Bars

Private
The Baltimore Riot is know as the first bloodshed of the American Civil War. Fought between Southern sympathizers and the 6th Massachusetts Militia. On April 19, 186o, the militia was transferring trains to go to D.C. When Southern sympathizers saw them they fired. During the riot People used pistoles, bricks or even rocks to chuck at the 6th Massachusetts. After the riot when James Ryder Randall found out his friend was killed in Baltimore, he wrote a pro Confederate prom that includes the name of famous and wealthy planters and "Northern Scum" currently the song witch Randall wrote, Maryland My Maryland is Maryland's state song.
Maryland was planning on secession, till when Virginia seceded and then Washington would of been surrounded by Confederate states. secessionist of Maryland have been prisoned during there attempted to secede, they were taken to Point Lookout, MD. Maryland was given the Center star of the Confederate flag in most cases.

Thanks

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

rpkennedy

Major
The Baltimore Riot is know as the first bloodshed of the American Civil War. Fought between Southern sympathizers and the 6th Massachusetts Militia. On April 19, 186o, the militia was transferring trains to go to D.C. When Southern sympathizers saw them they fired. During the riot People used pistoles, bricks or even rocks to chuck at the 6th Massachusetts. After the riot when James Ryder Randall found out his friend was killed in Baltimore, he wrote a pro Confederate prom that includes the name of famous and wealthy planters and "Northern Scum" currently the song witch Randall wrote, Maryland My Maryland is Maryland's state song.
Maryland was planning on secession, till when Virginia seceded and then Washington would of been surrounded by Confederate states. secessionist of Maryland have been prisoned during there attempted to secede, they were taken to Point Lookout, MD. Maryland was given the Center star of the Confederate flag in most cases.

Thanks
Saying that Maryland was planning on seceding is more than just a bit of a stretch.

R

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
The riot is also known as the Pratt Street Riot or the Pratt Street Massacre. To many Confederates the members of the mob were heroes. Some Union supporters disagreed with the citizens of a state attacking U.S. soldiers with bricks, paving stones and pistols. Does the fact Maryland had yet to secede, if it was going to secede, have any influence on the matter?

Old_Glory

2nd Lieutenant

Thanks
I recently read a book on the Baltimore riots written by the mayor of Baltimore at the time. It was called "Baltimore and the Nineteenth of April 1861: A Study of the War" by George William Brown. He was the mayor of Baltimore at the time. If you are interested in the subject, it is a good read. As for Maryland, it was a hotbed for both sides. If you're going to say this was the first bloodshed, I would disagree. Their protest was more about troops matching through them and possible occupation. They resented being used as a bridge by Massachusetts' forces. They had not taken a side yet, they really wanted to remain neutral.

Lincoln's arrest of Pro-Confederate elected officials ended that hope for neutrality or succession. Where on earth he got the authority to do that is a more interesting subject in my opinion. To me, those arrests were one of Lincoln's greatest blunders.

kholland

Captain
Retired Moderator

Thanks
1 The arrested legislators and Baltimore City Council members arrested on 2 separate dates were taken to Fort Mc Henry and Fortress Monroe. Those arrested were not taken to Point Lookout as that was strictly a POW prison with no barracks for prisoners. And it was not established as a prison until 1862.

2 There were 13 states represented on the Confederate flag, Maryland not being one of them. And there were no assigned spaces for the stars especially for a state which was not a Confederate state.

About a month after the Baltimore riots Union General Ben Butler took 1000 soldiers into Baltimore and occupied Federal Hill fortified with cannons. Baltimore Mayor Brown, members of the city council and the police commissioner were arrested and imprisoned at Fort McHenry. Some 4 months later The New York Times reported on September 18th, 1861:

BALTIMORE, Wednesday, Sept. 18.

The following is a list of the members of the Legislature and others arrested at Frederick for disloyalty. They were sent to Annapolis, via the Relay House, and will probably proceed to Fortress Monroe by the first steamer, unless detained by order of Gen. DIX, waiting further orders from the Government:

RICHARD C. MCKUBIN, of Annapolis.

S.P. CARMACK, Senate Committee Clerk.

E.A. HANSON.

THOS. E. SCHLEIGH, Doorkeeper of the House.

CLARKE J. DURANT, of Leonardtown, St. Mary's County, merchant, member of the House.

J. LAWRENCE JONES, of Talbot County, mechanic, member of the House.

MILTON G. KIDD, Chief Clerk of the House.

F.H. MOORE, Assistant Clerk of the House.

C.G. KILBOURNE, Speaker of the House.

JOHN M. BREWER, Reading Clerk of the Senate.

E. SALMON, of Frederick County, farmer, member of the House.

JOSIAH H. GORRON, of Alleghany County, sawyer member of the House.

THOMAS J. CLAGGETT, of Frederick County, farmer, member of the House.

OSCAR MILES, of St. Marys, planter, Senator.

ANDREW KESSLER, Jr., of Frederick County, farmer, member of the House.

Also, Messrs. ELKINS, RILEY and JOHN HAGAN, hotel-keepers, near Frederick City.

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
Looks like you have it figured out, now you should ask yourself why no free states were even asked if they wanted to join the CS.

James B White

Captain
Honored Fallen Comrade
S&B, there are some here who have appointed themselves as arbiters as to what ought to be posted as opposed to what can be posted.
I think it's more like: If a person consistently posts research on topics well recognized to fit a pattern of a particular modern viewpoint about the war (let's say the tariff, black Confederates and northern slavery), some here will recognize the bias and react accordingly.

Rebforever

Lt. Colonel
I think it's more like: If a person consistently posts research on topics well recognized to fit a pattern of a particular modern viewpoint about the war (let's say the tariff, black Confederates and northern slavery), some here will recognize the bias and react accordingly.
Yes, biases can be seen here pretty quickly. :smile coffee:

CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
You are certainly entitled to that view. You must admit, however, that there is a certain knee jerk reaction by some here on topics to which they have a fixed view and about which any view outside their own must be suppressed. The vehicle that seems the most convenient to employ is to attempt to ridicule and intimidate in order to marginalize views which do not meet their approval.

Old_Glory

2nd Lieutenant
Looks like you have it figured out, now you should ask yourself why no free states were even asked if they wanted to join the CS.
They were also all Democrat states (including Maryland). The minority of those Democrats were the slave owners, not the majority. Lest you forget the many Democrats in the North who owned no slaves, along with majority of Democrats in the South who owned no slaves, yet voted and soundly supported the Democrat party and the South.

Old_Glory

2nd Lieutenant
I know I tend to react every time I see some posters on here who constantly post Treasury of Virtues, extreme Northern bias, nonsense.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!