NF Autobiography by Frederick Douglass

Non-Fiction
He wrote it because there were too may accusations anyone one so educated, polished and intelligent could not possibly have grown up part of the enslaved population. Of course part of the myth attached to keeping an entire race enslaved was because white folks were required to keep an eye on them- in case they ran with scissors and hurt themselves. Douglas's fierce intellect sure helped a few ( deliberate ) misunderstandings. It's tough to read in spots, isn't it?

I love his autobiography - not just because of the story, but because he's such a gifted writer. It's a pleasure to read him, and twice as much of a pleasure in light of how hard he had to work to learn to write. Just think how many other enslaved people might have been great writers, if they had been allowed. Then multiply that by the ones who might have been great in all different ways that were forbidden to them. The sense of loss is a little dizzying.

There are three:
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass (1845)
My Bondage and My Freedom (1855)
The Life and Times of Frederick Douglass (1881)

Then all the articles in his newsapers, plus his speeches. The guy was amazing.

I wanted to see if they had microfilm of one of his newspapers at the Library of Virginia, and got into an Abbott and Costello routine.
Me: Do you have Frederick Douglass' Paper?
Them: I'll look. What's the name?
Me: Frederick Douglass' Paper
Them: I need the actual name.
Me: That's the name. I'm looking to see if you have Frederick Douglass' Paper.
Them: Fine, but I need the name...

He never should have changed it from The North Star. :banghead:

The guy was everywhere, giving speeches, rallying people. The abolition movement would have looked different without him, and besides all the work he did, he was an actual symbol himself of what an enslaved person could accomplish if only they were given free rein. Sure, just like whites, some were best suited to picking cotton, but as Allie says, imagine how much talent was lost. Douglass showed just one person's potential.

Back