Grant Appearances at Appomattox

That business of not being a target was a good survival technique. Wearing your uniform correctly at all times was part of the attrition problem Confederate officers had! Grant wasn't wounded, maybe a ding in his scabbard.
Makes me wonder to what extent he was 'underestimated' in the circumstances. He never determined to 'sell' himself, yet rose above all others.

DSC05895.JPG

General Lee was dressed in a full uniform which was entirely new, and was wearing a sword of considerable value, very likely the sword which had been presented by the State of Virginia; at all events it was an entirely different sword from the one that would ordinarily be worn in the field. In my rough traveling suit, the uniform of a private with the straps of a lieutenant-general, I must have contrasted very strangely with a man so handsomely dresssed, six feet high and of faultless form. But this was not a matter that I thought of until afterwards."

The Complete Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant - pg 353

Lee's sword, photographed below at the Appomattox Museum of the Civil War, was actually presented to him by ladies from the State of Maryland and Lee referred to it as the Maryland Sword. it is an expensive presentation copy of a regulation British officer's sword, likely because it was made in England and run through the blockade. It is inscribed in one of the etched panels that it is a gift from a marylander with a small m. Note that it is displayed in front of a photograph of Lee actually wearing the sword, a photo likely made as a gift of appreciation for the donors of the sword. The uniform believed to have been worn by him is also displayed in the museum along with his gauntlets, above.

DSC05884.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 312641

Lee's sword, photographed below at the Appomattox Museum of the Civil War, was actually presented to him by ladies from the State of Maryland and Lee referred to it as the Maryland Sword. it is an expensive presentation copy of a regulation British officer's sword, likely because it was made in England and run through the blockade. It is inscribed in one of the etched panels that it is a gift from a marylander with a small m. Note that it is displayed in front of a photograph of Lee actually wearing the sword, a photo likely made as a gift of appreciation for the donors of the sword. The uniform believed to have been worn by him is also displayed in the museum along with his gauntlets, above.

View attachment 312640
Thanks for the further info and images James N.

Back