Ancestry help needed...

OldmanReb

Private
Honored Fallen Comrade
I have found a specific John Huntamer in my wife’s family tree. He was born on March 14, 1850 in Potosi, Grant, Wisconsin. When he was 14 he enlisted in Co. A, 1st Wisconsin Cavalry. He passed away on September 5, 1930. He is my wife’s great-grandfather through his son, John Valentine Huntamer. I have some photo’s I’ll add, but would like to see if anyone can find like muster rolls, pension applications, etc.

E02F3655-187C-41F0-A421-CA5DCFA4B323.jpeg
A9DAEC56-60EE-41E4-95C7-1BEA03239BD5.jpeg

Thanks for the help!

His service file is at the National Archives and is properly spelled/filed under Pvt. John Huntamer.

It is a violation of the user agreement to post images from Ancestry.com but here's the same pension index card from FamilySearch.org:

record-image_(3).jpg

According to the story on FindAGrave, extracted from a story in the Olympia Record, August 7, 1922, "After the war, Huntamer followed the blacksmith's trade for 30 years. He then farmed in North Dakota for a time before moving to Astoria, Oregon. He eventually settled on a farm near Lacey, Washington."

His application for admission to the Washington Soldiers' Home is on FamilySearch HERE (1924) and HERE (1928) and it includes a lot of data, including the names and birth places of his parents. Be sure to look at all 17 pages.

Last edited:
There's nothing but a General Index Card and that pension index card for him in fold3.

Back