An obscure brigadier general

Billy1977

Sergeant
Hello and happy Thanksgiving everybody! Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving. I've been trying to compile a picture collection of all the officers who served as generals during the Civil War and so far I've been fairly successful until I got to Brig. Gen. Charles Carroll Marsh, usually referred to as C. Carroll Marsh. Here's the Wikipedia page for him.

He was born in Oswego, New York but must have moved as a child because he grew up in Illinois and ended up as the colonel of the 20th Illinois before he was promoted to brigadier general. But I can't find any photos or illustrations of this man no matter where I look. Surely there must exist at least one picture of this fellow, right? I have tons of CDVs of sergeants, corporals, down to plenty of privates and this guy was nothing less than a brigadier general so I'm presuming he must have at least taken the time to have his likeness made wouldn't you think?

So I'm asking if someone out there has a picture of Brig. Gen. C. Carroll Marsh and can post it on this thread and I don't care at this point if he's wearing civilian clothes or if it's only an old woodcut illustration or whatever, I just need some kind of picture of this person so my O.C.D. doesn't drive me up the wall. (Anyone with O.C.D. knows that I would have been MUCH better off psychologically with zero pictures of Civil War generals at all than pictures of all of them except for one which until I find it will drive me nuts! But I've already started collecting them so I can't go back). You understand. Thanks so much to whomever can help me with this and again happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Last edited:
Im not with my resources, so was he a brigade commander under Sherman hefore and during Vicksburg??
I think is the Lt-Colonel who had a brigade of Infiana and Illinois regiments.

What would be ideal (for me) is if it turns out that he never actually operated as a brigadier general so that then I wouldn't worry any longer about finding a picture of him. I mean I know his appointment as a brigadier general was eventually withdrawn, but he did command a brigade in John Logan's division in the early stages of the Vicksburg siege but for that matter a lot of colonels commanded brigades during the war so that doesn't guarantee that he ever did anything during the war with an actual brigadier general's star on his shoulders .

I mean if a buck private can afford to get a likeness of himself made when he goes to Cincinnati on leave then it's practically a certainty that someone with the income of a brigadier general (and I would imagine being as sure of himself and confident as generals typically are) would absolutely have at least one carte de visite made of himself wouldn't he?

From the book The Personal Memoirs of Julia Dent Grant: (Mrs. Ulysses S. Grant)

Page 116:

33. Major general Stephen A. Hurlbut then commanded the District of Jackson in Grant’s Command. Colonel C. Carroll Marsh, 20th Illinois, though recommended by Grant for appointment as brigadier general and accordingly nominated by Lincoln, was not confirmed by the Senate.

What would be ideal (for me) is if it turns out that he never actually operated as a brigadier general

If this is the Marsh that I'm familiar with, then he was assigned a brigade commander at the rank of Lt-Colonel. I thought that odd when I first read about it. I thought he did get his star but I'm would be guessing. I should have a short bio on him somewhere.

Okay, I have my notes. You may have some of this from the OR's.

The first is an OR listing Col. C. C. Marsh. So I was wrong as he was a full Colonel in 1862.
OR_US_GenGrant_Nov62-338.jpg

Here is a memo recommending some promotions. This is dated before Vicksburg campaign. If he got his promotion, I would think it happened after the surrender.
Papers_Grant_ColMarsh-132.jpg

But, Col. C. C. Marsh commanded a different brigade by January 1863.
The reason of my interest in Col. Marsh is because I have a hand-drawn map of his brigade camping at Collierville, TN, in January 1863.
Here are some quotes from my notes.

Adjutant General’s Report -- on the 124th Illinois Regiment

October 6th, left for the front which was found at Jackson, Tennessee, at 3 A.M. The 9th. Was assigned to the First Brigade, Third Division, Seventeenth Army Corps, consisting of the Twentieth, Thirty-first, Forty-fifth and One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Illinois and the Twenty-third Indiana, commanded by Colonel C. C. Marsh, of the Twentieth Illinois, General John A. Logan commanding the Division and General J. B. McPherson the Corp. With this organization the Regiment remained till April 5, 1864. In the crisp autumn air and lovely camp at Jackson the foundations largely laid for all the distinction it afterwards achieved.

Left Jackson November 2nd, to participate in the movement under General Grant, via Bolivar and Lagrange, Tennessee, and Holly Springs, Abbeville and Oxford, Mississippi , to the rear of Vicksburg. Returned from the Yacoma upon the burning of the depot of supplies at Holly Springs, and after some time spent in guarding the Memphis and Charleston railroad, reached Memphis January 21, 1863.
{The brigade stopped at Collierville for a week before proceeding to Memphis}

From history of 31st Illinois Regiment.

Upon the termination of this campaign, the regiment, with the army under Grant, was transferred to a new field, that of the operations which finally resulted in the downfall of Vicksburg. On the 15th of January 1863, it set out for Lagrange, Tennessee, and thence went to Memphis by way of Colliersville. Leaving Memphis March 10, 1863, it embarked for Lake Providence, Louisiana; and after assisting in the attempts to open a route by water to a point below Vicksburg, it moved upon abandonment of these attempts to Miliken's Bend and thence to Wanesborough. Having crossed the Mississippi below Grand Gulf, April 30, 1863, the next day the regiment, without waiting for rations, though hungry and weary enough, hurried forward to the support of the comrades then engaged in battle at Thompson's Hill, near Port Gibson,

And now, from history of 23rd Indiana.

After the battle of Shiloh, the 23rd advanced on Corinth, Mississippi and participated in the siege of Corinth. After the Confederates evacuated Corinth, the 23rd Indiana Infantry marched to Purdy and then to Bolivar, Tennessee. The 23rd Indiana remained in Bolivar, Tennessee until September, when the regiment marched to Iuka, Mississippi. The regiment remained in Iuka from September until November 1862, when they participated in General Grant’s Central Mississippi Campaign. On January 20, 1863, the 23rd Indiana moved to Memphis, Tennessee and then to Lake Providence, Louisiana. By April 17, 1863, the 23rd Indiana moved to Millken’s Bend, Louisiana.

Last edited:
I searched Google Books for more Adjutant General Reports that might mention Col. C. C. Marsh.
Interesting that I found a Naval commander named C. C. Marsh in an Illinois Adj Gen Report.

Also found a report of a Sons of Veterans meeting in 1890s that listed a Cerdric C. Marsh as a commander in the veterans organization.

The Wiki article says he resigned in 1863.
I searched FOLD3 for documents and got hits in "Citizens Files". One was a ketter from a C. C. Marsh dated April 1865 where it appears he held a job in Mobile, AL, involving shipping supplies for Army. It was written to an Army general explaining why his ship had to off-load cotton bales due to drop in river level and some were stolen before they could be retrieved.

It does NOT sound like he got his Star.

The Wiki article says he resigned in 1863.
I searched FOLD3 for documents and got hits in "Citizens Files". One was a ketter from a C. C. Marsh dated April 1865 where it appears he held a job in Mobile, AL, involving shipping supplies for Army. It was written to an Army general explaining why his ship had to off-load cotton bales due to drop in river level and some were stolen before they could be retrieved.

It does NOT sound like he got his Star.

I`m not sure you got the right C.C. Marsh here - there also was one in the 28th Alabama Infantry Regiment.

Edit: That C.C. Marsh should be Christopher C. Marsh.

Last edited:
This is dated before Vicksburg campaign. If he got his promotion, I would think it happened after the surrender.

That's good because it says in Wikipedia's list of Union generals of the Civil War that he resigned on 22 April of 1863 so it sounds like he didn't have much if any time to actually serve as a brigadier general before it appears he found out that the Senate didn't confirm his appointment and it was withdrawn. In fact that might be why he resigned, he probably felt he deserved that promotion and when he didn't get it he left in a huff I guess.

Also seeming to point in the same direction (of him not actually getting his star) would be that the (archived edition on the Wayback Machine for the) website Brevets and Generals does not list him on there but it's not for lack of thoroughness because I haven't had a problem finding an entry on Brevets and Generals for any of the other ones so far that I've confirmed actually operated as brigadier generals.

Back