Restricted Americans voted themselves into war

Georgia Sixth

2nd Lieutenant
Another example of why I love Edward Ayers' work. This is a short look at the presidential election maps in the 19th century elections up to 1860. He examines party affiliation, ideological indicators and areas where elections were close. His maps show some surprising things, the main one being that slavery doesn't seem to be an obvious factor until 1860. As he says, America voted themselves into an impasse -- voted themselves into a civil war. Fascinating stuff. (Only five minutes or so,) I think this will provoke some (hopefully) interesting discussion.

Eric Calistri

2nd Lieutenant
Graphics are very nice and well used to tell the story. Foner's Free Soil, Free Labor, Free Men is on the same/similar range of topics, and a good read.

Norm53

First Sergeant
History books tell us that slavery was an "obvious factor" leading to the ACW ever since the delegates to the Constitutional Convention deliberated on it. The fact that it does not show up regionally in the election stats until 1860 tells me nothing significantly noteworthy.

Last edited:

OpnCoronet

Lt. Colonel
History books tell us that slavery was an "obvious factor" leading to the ACW ever since the delegates to the Constitutional Convention deliberated on it. The fact that it does not show up regionally in the election stats until 1860 tells me nothing significantly noteworthy.

Very true. To the extent that the voters voted themselves into an impasse, is true, it is more accurate to note that the voters were placed in the position of having to vote against their own best interests and/or convictions, by their political leaders,i.e., they9the voters) voted the choice(s) given by their leaders.

A failure of leadership, not of the voters.